Chapter 10

Wrath

I walk through his wards like they're an invitation. Power surges through my body, coiling in the pit of my stomach as darkness fills me, coursing adrenaline to the very tips of my fingers and making my skin feel alive.

Rounding the property, I go to the back of the keep and spot her before I even come close to cresting the hill. The hum in my body quiets seeing her safe and unharmed. That's when I realize the harpies granted her permission to fly. It's extremely rare, I'm the only other given the privilege. The peaceful feeling leaves in a flash when my mind registers the picture before me. Dayzues has her caged, and Rosa is not resisting as his lips crash down on hers. Anger rules my every thought. My skin turns completely black as I charge forward, a deep rage rising from within me. The harpies screech, the ear piercing sound doesn't slow my step. They rise as one; I take a long moment to realize they're startled by me. Fuck, Rosa's going to get caught in the crossfire. I'm about to take flight when Dayzues finally makes a move and corkscrews in a downward spiral. My path is cleared. I move forward, pulling back the dark shadows that seem to follow me since I left the underworld that tainted me. A wide grin spreads across my face and a look of complete horror paints Dayzues's expression.

"Hello little brother, I believe you stole something from me."

He pushes my woman behind him and opens his arms. I know what he's about to do. I can sense the power we share on the cusp. A dark laugh slips out when I take his measure, insignificant compared to what lurks inside me. Rosa peeks around him. I can see her wave in my peripheral vision, but I keep my eyes on Dayzues. The moment he lets loose, I'm going to steal it away and leave him with nothing and no one. She picked the wrong brother, giving away pleasures that are meant for me alone. All is fine I remindmyself, if she's not willing, I'm going to take what I want. The time for waiting is over and fuck the pleasantries. She will have to learn to love me.

"Wrath, just calm down, it's not what it looks like."

I smile coldly at her.

"So you weren't shoving your tongue down my brother's throat?"

Rosa groans uncomfortably.

"Okay, well, it's kind of what it looks like, but it didn't mean anything. I had a moment of weakness. Just calm down!"

My brother looks worried, good. My patience wears thin and I goad him into action.

"You will have nothing. I will take her from you the way you took father from me." He threatens, stepping forward, only to back down in the next moment. He slips a dirk from his boot and turns it on Rosa, placing her in front of him. Her face contorts with anger. Good. I hope she sees him for what he truly is. A desperate coward who would toss her aside for any cause that suited him. I would lie down my life for her. It feels as though I already have. The darkness inside leaves me numb, powerless to control it. A part of me is dead, replaced by an evil all its own. Even now I'm excited to punish her and she's not even safe yet, though it's just a formality. Dayzues is no longer a threat.

"You have no idea what you're talking about, my brother. You're defending our father, but you don't know his secrets."

It's nonsense. I ignore his attempt to distract me. I'm tired of waiting. My wings spread and I focus on Dayzues. Our eyes lock. Just before I make a move, I see the telltale shimmer. No! I launch, but he dematerializes before I reach him.

Rosa drops to the ground and shuttles back from me. I turn my attention to her with fresh ire.

"Just calm down. Do you remember why I left in the first place?" She tries to warn but it comes out a squeak. It's the wrong thing to say. I was wondering if he forced her. It was the only thing keeping my anger with her at bay. But that little admission is the icing on the cake.