Chapter 8 : Crossing

"It seems that today is your remaining day alive." She said. "Do you perhaps... Have a wish? Something you eagerly desire?"

"A Wish you say?" Armin reached out one feeble hand to pat the child's head. "If I had one wish, I'd say... I wish that my friend truly found freedom." He replied with a smile.

"Would you be happy if he did?"

"Of course. I have long wished that he was really free. But I don't think his death was the kind of freedom that everyone would have wished for."

"Even if you return to the past, you can never change a future that already happened."

"However, if you return to that past, you can only change it's impending future making this current future your past."

What I wish...

I wish...

My wish is...

Ocean blue eyes abruptly opened. Sitting up from his small bed, the nine year old held his temples.

Faced with the reoccurring dream and haunted by the vivid past, Armin looked down at his small juvenile hands.

What that girl told him to wish happened. He returned back into the past with all knowledge of the future. The sun was up and the skies were blue outside the curtains.

He immediately got up and change clothes almost as if he would die of he didn't go out that moment. Grandpa Arlert was nowhere to be seen so he must have been in the market. The young man jumped out of the door and started to run through the busy crowd.

But before he could find his grandpa, he saw someone else. Brown haired boy with green eyes was running towards his direction with a ravenette girl. The sight of these two almost made him fall to the ground and break down. Oh my god, he met his friends again; young, alive, and happy.

At that moment,  he couldn't help but cry out of breath. Eren panicked when he saw Armin being too out of character. The quiet Armin who would get bullied by those snarky kids on the other streets would usually smile but today was different.

"Did they bully you again? I'm going to make them regret it!" Eren popped his knuckles bravely as he stomp to leave.

"No... No! It wasn't about that." The young blonde said, wiping his tears and snot with a smile. "I... I was just reminded... Of the past." He said.

"Past?" Eren tilted his head with a childish and confused frown.

"You know... My parents." He replied quickly.

"Oh." Of course, he wouldn't say much about that topic. Eren simply pursed his lips then pouted, looking away. After all, how could he think of any helpful advise?

"It's fine. I'm okay now. It's just a passing thought." Armin explained. "Oh, by the way. What brings you here?" He asked.

"Oh! That" the boy snapped out of silence and had a big grin on his face. "The scouts! They're going to an expedition tomorrow. Have you heard of the rising star, they said he became a squad captain." He said in excitement.

"Huh?"

"You know, captain Levi!" The boy exclaimed with admiration.

"Well, he's amazing." The young blonde replied with a smile.

"Let's watch them march tomorrow!"

"Of course. I'm going." Armin assured. "Eren... Do you... Want to be in the scouting regimen?" He asked.

Mikasa, who has been silent all throughout the conversation frowned. But Eren was too excited to notice her disagreement.  "Of course! I'm going to make sure that I'll kill all the titans alive outside!"