Chapter 9 : 50 Meters

Humanity was suddenly reminded that day... of the terror of being at their mercy... of the humiliation of being trapped inside a cage...

The gate slowly opened from the entrance. The heavy tons of Shaganshina's gate was pulled to a more than enough height to allow everyone from the outside gain an entrance.

The group entered, gloomy and less than the original count. Some were strolled into the caravan either losing limbs or eyes, obviously chipped out of body parts that disabled them to further ride horses.

Around them gathered civilians. Not to welcome the brave ones but to criticize further.

"They're the only ones who made it back?"

"Everyone else must've gotten eaten."

"This is what they get for going outside the walls."

The murmurs drowned from numerous sounds in the air, but nonetheless, it was still distinct. Soldiers who heard it lowered their heads more.

"Moses! Moses!" And old lady cried into the crowd, disrupting the parade.

"Excuse me... I don't see my son Moses anywhere... Do you know where he is?"

"This is Moses' mother."

"Go get it." The commander said with a calm yet enigmatic facade. The soldier who got what he was asking for, returned and handed him an item covered in cloth. "It's all we could retrieve." He said, opening the package to reveal the severed arm.

The lady almost immediately recognized it, filling her eyes with tears. And then a look of grieving expectation lingered to her eyes. "But... my son... He was helpful, yes? Even if he didn't achieve direct greatness... surely my son's death helped humanity fight back, yes?!"

"Of course...!" The tone of hesitation immediately lowered down to the point where it was too obvious.

"No..." She can already tell.

"On this latest scouting mission, we..."

"No..."

"Just like all the other missions... we achieved nothing at all! My incompetence has done nothing but needlessly send soldiers to their deaths! We haven't found out anything about them!"

Silence. Even a pin drop could be heard by such silence almost as if the soldiers themselves wanted to be swallowed by the ground right now.

But the truth must be told.

This place is hopeless. This job, this profession... It's all worthless.

.

.

.

Y/n was looking at a familiar ceiling. The ugly ceiling that she once criticized for being moldy.

Not that she's confined, but her healing injuries need the final checking after the previous weeks' expedition. It wasn't that much of a problem. All there is to it was an approval from a doctor and she's ready to go. And right now, she got it before the doors abruptly open, carrying multiple injured soldiers.

The hospital became even more cramp after the soldiers lead by the Commander of the scouts arrived. It was quite a ruckus. Nurses and doctors were running around in a hurry, then shouts of agony followed with a few commands.

There were weeping and arguments. The energy dropped negatively in an instant.

The earlier quiet hospital became a strange room of chaos. After getting her final treatment, she immediately got out of that place and enjoyed her day off.