Chapter Forty-Three: The Search

The ship had landed.

Arcturus looked through the lines of people being herded onto it, armed men by it. In the distance, you could see Antion over the fields and woods. It glowed golden with the psychic energies from the portal. The native people here thought it was divine energy. That glow spread over the land, shading them all in it.

It made the sight of spear-wielding guards stand by as modern people went on one at a time. A man was checking with each one and taking names. Arcturus took a chance to snap some pictures from afar. These would be nice to show to his superiors.

At whatever job he got when this was over.

Arcturus had forgotten entirely what career he'd been aiming for before this. It didn't seem so important anymore.

"Do you see them?" asked Renfield.

"No, I don't," said Arcturus.

"Well, what do they look like?" asked Renfield.

Arcturus said nothing, finding himself at a loss watching the line.

"Kid?" asked Renfield, crossing his arms.

"Hang on a second," said Arcturus. "I'm spaced out alright; I have no idea what I will say.

"'Hi, Mom, I've just seen a massacre. How are you?'"

"Look, just act natural and let things unfold," said Renfield. "First, we gotta find them."

Arcturus looked at the condition of the people. They were all wearing clothes that were handwoven and very clean. None seemed bruised or anything else. Some were yelling at the guards about getting them fired. Others were smart enough to stay quiet. "They don't seem to have been mistreated.

"And they have been given new clothes."

"Let me see..." said Renfield. "I don't see them."

"Hang on," said Arcturus, approaching one of the guards. "Excuse me?"

"Yes?" asked the guard, sounding infuriated. He looked like a secretary who had been getting screamed at all day.

"I'm going to get you all fired for this," said a man as he huffed up the ramp.

"Have you seen Ms. and Mr. Fate?" said Renfield. "I've got their son looking for them."

"I didn't meet anyone with that last name," said the guard.

"Right, right," said Renfield. "Are you the prison guard for this?"

"Are you a prisoner?" asked the guard.

"I'm the pilot for the transport that crashlanded here first," said Renfield. "Is there a list of these prisoners we could get? My friend is the son of two of your prisoners."

The man paused as one of his men looked at him. "Don't humor them, Tombs," said another man. "They don't deserve it."

Tombs drew out a scroll. "I have one here.

"We're to read the names off in order as each one goes up."

"Can I see it?" asked Renfield.

Tombs sighed and looked conflicted.

"Look, his family is missing," said Renfield. "It has been for a month.

"They didn't have anything to do with all of this?"

Why did these people feel the need to threaten the armed men, letting them go? Did they have no sense of self-preservation?

"Very well," said Tomb.