Going Nowhere Fast

Chapter 2 – Leah – Going Nowhere Fast

It was one of those days. I’d spent nearly all day running patrol, which I wouldn’t mind really if I could just get a little damn privacy. But, of course with our expanded territory, and with Jacob’s new “teamwork” regime, I had spent the whole day sharing my every thought with Quil Ateara and his new fascination with Barbie dolls. Claire, the infantile, future love of Quil’s life, had recently taken an interest in playing dolls, something which Quil of course found adorable and totally enthralling. Meanwhile I couldn’t help but spend the whole day thinking about how utterly bizarre it was for a teenage boy to dote on a tiny child as if she were, not only his daughter, but his very best friend. I couldn’t help thinking how desperately cruel it was for an imprinted wolf to lose all say in who they loved and even who they were. It didn’t seem to be a great gig for the imprintee either.  I couldn’t imagine the thought of some guy declaring I was their one and only true love, and I had no say in it. I’d run, just get the hell outta dodge, I thought.

By the time the shadows began to lengthen into dusk I was nearly out of my mind with the mixture of conflicting thoughts sharing my brain. I tried to just let my consciousness sink into the pad of my feet on the ground; lose myself in the rhythm of heartbeat and motion. I let my senses stretch out from me, but my restless mind kept snagging on interesting smells and sounds. I felt a strange pull in me, growing stronger, and more frustrating. I felt like running, but I didn’t know where to go. I could feel my frustration turning into a nasty mood. Sunset signaled patrol changeover, but if I couldn’t get control of my temper I’d be stuck as a wolf for another patrol shift, and I was not in the mood for it.

I felt a growl working its way up my throat and suppressed it. I clamped down on my thoughts and focused again on my senses. My patrol circuit was heading back towards La Push, and let my hearing span out to take in the sounds of the small town. Rather than listening to any specific thing, I let all the sounds converge into soothing hum. At least I tried to, but on particular stand of sound stood out. Automatically I honed in on it, only to find the sound of my brother, Embry, and another person down near First Beach. I felt my frustration return, they were supposed to be next on patrol, and instead they were chatting with some stranger on the beach. I sat back and gave a howl of annoyance before I could stop myself.

Leah! What’s happening? Quil’s thoughts burst into my mind again.

Nothing, sorry. Just my idiot brother and Embry, wasting time. I’m just tired, and irritated. I sent my hearing back to the beach and managed to catch a final scrap of conversation

“…. I really can’t take any more of your time.” The voice was one of the most fascinating sounds I had ever heard. I could tell it was a girl’s voice, although it was somewhat low. She had a strange accent, I couldn’t quite place it, but it was rich and… attractive. I couldn’t shake it, until Seth’s voice cut through my consciousness, he was saying hurried farewells as he and Embry made for the woods. I felt a strange mix of emotions, relief that my patrol was finally over and I could have my headspace to myself again, and overwhelming curiosity about who my brother and pack mate had been speaking to.

I don’t get why you’re so interested Leah. She’s probably just some tourist looking for a local experience.

Quil! Stay out of my head ok? I’m just a little curious is all. Again I felt my frustration return.

Chill out Leah, sorry. Quil sounded contrite, and so I let it go.

Sorry Quil, I’m just in a weird mood. I made my way back to the small grove of trees where I’d stored my clothes this morning. Just as I reached my destination I felt two new minds join Quil’s and mine.