Still Falling

Chapter 9 – Still Falling

Harper

Leah and I floated on our backs, buoyed up by the mineral rich water of the spring, our hands just touching. Every now and then I would tilt my head towards her, and just watch the play of light on her cheeks, the rise and fall of her chest. Sometimes she’d catch me watching her, or I’d catch her watching me, and we’d both grin. The newness of this thing between us made it seem tentative and fragile, and at the same time desperately inviting.  I relived the kiss, her hand in my hair, the way the water seemed to hold us together. There had been a moment when we’d broken apart. She’d had a troubled look on her face, and for a second I’d felt fear and anxiety welling up. But she’d turned back to me and smiled so sweetly that I’d forgotten how to worry. Then she had kissed me again and I’d forgotten how to even think.

 I could feel a blush washing over me, but we were both so warm from the water that I doubted it would show on my skin. Feeling cheeky, I glanced over at Leah again. Our hands had drifted apart, and her eyes were closed. I curled my knees up, allowing myself to sink soundlessly beneath the water. When my feet touched down on the sandy bottom I took a moment to orient myself.

 I could see Leah’s silhouette floating just above me, as I tried to remain completely motionless beneath the water. Running out of breath and not wanting to lose my chance, I propelled myself off the bottom of the pool. I wrapped my arms around Leah’s waist. She barely had time for a surprised gasp before I dragged her back under the water. For a moment we struggled, trying to gain dominance. I was making a break for the surface when I felt one of her arms hook around my back, and the other curled under my knees.

The next thing I knew I was lying in Leah’s arms bride-style, gasping for breath. She leaned over me, her hair dripping, a mock glare plastered on her face. I grinned up at her, sheepishly, and tried to wriggle out of her arms.

“Not so fast!” Her grip tightened, effectively cutting short my struggles. “That wasn’t very nice.” She lifted me out of the water, and let me drop. Although she caught me before my head went under, a small shriek escaped my lips. She raised her eyebrow at me.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” I laughed.

“Much better,” she said grinning. Quick as a breath she leant forward and kissed me gently. The warmth of the pool, of her company, of the day swam around me. It was thrilling, but comfortable, like coming home. With a shock I realised I was content, I was happy; properly happy, not just capable of enjoyment, but alive and well in every part of me. Sure this moment might not last, the fear and sadness would come back, but now I knew that I was capable of joy again and nothing could take that away.

I wrapped my arms around her neck, deepening the kiss. Her arms held me tighter and for a moment I thought we would fall backwards into the water. We broke apart with a couple of tiny kisses. My face felt sore from smiling so much. I reached up and cupped her cheek and she smiled into my hand.

“Lunch?” She asked.

 I nodded. Although it almost grieved me to leave the pool my hands were pruney and the sun was high in the sky. I tried to swing my legs out of her grip to climb out of the pool, but her arms tightened around me. Instead she walked towards the stepping stone, and lifted me clear out of the water, walking over to the picnic matt as if I weighed nothing.

“Hey!” I exclaimed, not so much annoyed as surprised. “I’m so not used this. I’m usually the tall one.”

“Whatever short stuff.” Leah laughed, but let me scramble down.

“I’ll have you know, I’m almost six foot.” I said, stamping my foot in a mock huff.

“I’m very very sorry.” She said, so earnestly I had to laugh. “I’d be shorter if I could. Now sit down and eat you crazy lady.”