Waiting For Distance and Buying Some Time

(AN: Hi friends! We’re moving into a pretty hectic part of the story. I’ve got a map of where this is all going, but sometimes I get a little bogged down in the details. This chapter has parts from both girls POV. I hope that’s alright with you all. Very soon now, the story is going to start moving forward rapidly, so hang in there. As always reviews are welcomed and encouraged, as is advice, and typo catching. Enjoy the chapter. Much loves.)

Chapter 5 – Waiting for Distance and Buying Some Time

Harper

Panic doesn’t begin to describe what I was feeling. Piece by piece, Jacob was taking my van’s engine apart. I was sitting on the cement floor of Jake’s garage, my knees drawn up against my chest. Seth was sprawled against the wall nearby, the remnants of our shared lunch spread out in front of us. Both guys had huge appetites. I’d been surprised at just how much food they’d manage to put away. I’d been more than happy to supply the food, but later as the mess of parts that was my engine grew larger and larger, I began to feel seriously worried.

This wasn’t going to be an easy fix. The afternoon was drawing to a close, and Jacob was still going over the engine with a fine tooth comb, noting what was worn out, and what was close to it. Meanwhile Seth had been keeping up and easy, mostly one-sided, conversation, occasionally asking a question, but mostly just talking. It was interesting to hear about life on the res. I was surprised to learn that he was only sixteen. I had thought he must be younger than he looked, but I could hardly credit that he was still in high school.

He talked about his family. “Mom’s as tough as nails, but she’s had to be I guess. Leah and I aren’t exactly the easiest kids to have. What about your folks Harper? What do they think about you being over here by yourself?”

There it was, the question I’d manage to avoid for the past five months. It hit me like a blow to the stomach, and the urge to flee rose up in me, making my breath speed up. If my van hadn’t been in pieces on the garage floor I would have made an excuse, jumped in, driven away, and never come back. Instead I had to sit there and try to figure out what to say. Lying might have been easy, but more than likely would only extend the conversation. I opted for the truth, in as short an answer I could give.

“They died.” I said, keeping my gaze fixed on Jacob, and the car part he was examining. Even though he wasn’t part of the conversation, I saw him flinch ever so slightly as I spoke. I sighed internally; this was the reaction I could expect for the rest of my life. A little shock, then pity and finally morbid curiosity.

But it didn’t happen that way. Instead Jacob started talking about what he was working on. How he could have most of the engine put back together tomorrow. Most of it was pretty routine, and could be fixed here, but there was one particular part he’d have to look around for. “I can drive to Forks tomorrow and check at Dowling’s. He might have what I need, but otherwise I’ll have to look further afield.”

I let go of a breath I hadn’t been aware I was holding. “But Doctor, will she ever drive again?” Maybe it was overkill, but I put on my best soap opera voice. In spite of my terrible attempt at an American accent, Seth howled with laughter. Jacob grinned, and played along.

“If we can remove the tumour, she’ll be fine. But I have to tell you, she doesn’t love you anymore. We’re running away together, BECAUSE I LOVE HER!” He clutched the side of the van dramatically and it was my turn to laugh. It was amazing, just this tiny admission had loosened some of the painful knot inside of me. As long as I didn’t look at it too closely, or think about it too much, I could almost forget about the tidal wave of memories and emotions that had been chasing me for the past year. For a moment, I didn’t even think about running away.