Take a Breath and Hold on Tight

(AN: I had a bit of trouble with this chapter. It was hard to put into words, but I think it makes it possible for things to move on from here without getting too bogged down in the day to day. As always thanks so much to those who review, and remember reviews are very appreciated. Take care and be well. Much Love.)

Chapter 6 – Take a Breath and Hold on Tight

Harper

 An awkward silence settled over the kitchen. I stared at the table trying to gather my thoughts. I felt hot embarrassment rush through me. I couldn’t believe I’d made such a fool of myself. Practically drooling over the girl whose house you were a guest in was seriously not proper etiquette. Still, most girls didn’t run away at the sight of me, even if I was usually a tad more subtle. Another wave of shame, then finally Seth spoke up.

“I haven’t got a clue what’s gotten into her.” I looked up in time to catch the furtive glance that passed between him and Sue. Maybe there was something more going on here than my embarrassing lack of discretion. “Sorry Harper, I’m sure it’s nothing. Leah can be a bit strange sometimes.”

Sue laughed a little nervously and stood to collect the groceries from where they had fallen in the hall. “Jacob will figure out what’s bothering her,” I cringed at the thought of that, “They’ll be back.” She smiled warmly at me, and began to put the finishing touches on dinner.

“Please let me help with that,” I offered. Sue protested, but eventually allowed me to help with making a salad.

I was just adding the last tomatoes when I heard the sound of the door. I focused on the salad bowl, refusing to look up. Still, I was aware of her every footstep. I heard her hesitate at the kitchen door.

“Um, Harper? I’m really sorry... about running out like that.” Her voice was pitched low, a rich alto. I couldn’t help turning to face her. Again, I felt the same rush of attraction, but I fought to school my features and keep my face clear. She smiled at me, and I felt relief flood through me. Maybe, just maybe I was overreacting, “I was in a really strange mood today... I guess it all hit me at once.” She looked embarrassed, and I felt an almost overwhelming urge to reassure her. It was my fault, I was the crazy one.

“Please, please don’t worry about it. It’s... it’s fine.” I had to look away for a moment. It was too intense to meet her gaze. I needed to get myself under control, this was getting ridiculous. I plastered on the lightest, friendliest smile I could manage and looked up again, “Fresh start? I offered.

The smile that broke over her face almost overwhelmed me. I could feel myself grinning like a fool, and had to look away. I grabbed the half-forgotten bowl of salad, and brought it to the table. Now that I was no longer looking at her, the rest of the room came into focus. I realised that Jake re-emerged, and was seated next to Seth at the table. Sue was already serving chicken breast and potato cakes.

I sat down quickly, still feeling somewhat off balance. Without realising it, I’d sat down directly across from Leah, and as dinner was served and eaten, I was torn between stealing glances at her and keeping my eyes firmly on the plate in front of me. Conversation was sparse. Jake seemed focused entirely on his food. Seth kept stealing glances between Jake, Leah and occasionally me, as if he was trying to figure something out. Leah seemed as nervous as I did. A couple of times I thought she might speak, but each time she seemed to think better of it, and looked away.

Sue did most of the talking, swinging the conversation easily from a journal she’s been reading, to the latest events on the res. With her deftly filling up the silences, the dinner passed quite pleasantly, if a little awkwardly. After the plates had been cleared and washed, Jake excused himself to go home. Somehow, without him there, the room seemed even more crowded.