66. Dream, Dream, Dream [Last/Part 2](Long Chapter)

The festive season had passed off normally, and Chris had celebrated at the Aments' after his mother had left to join a man she'd been seeing for two months. As he had thought since becoming friends with Jeff, this was his real family. As for the other boys, they too had spent it with their families, as was tradition, which Eddie found absurd. Christmas was a joke in his eyes, and celebrating a new year was pointless too, considering time to be a loop that went round and round like an infernal circle from which there was no escape, remaining a prisoner. When he learned from his mother that his stepfather, whom he'd known since childhood, wasn't his real father, it was a shock, and he could no longer trust anyone but himself. Since then, he'd made life hard for his parents. Only his three younger brothers, to whom he was close, were of any real value to him. He had never known his real father, who had since died. This world was a lie.

Back at school at the beginning of January, as Cydel was walking that morning to the high school thirty minutes from their home, a car slowed down beside her. She quickened her pace as the driver caught up with her, stopping dead in her tracks. Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice calling out to her.

"Cydel!"

She turned around and saw that the man she'd taken for a pervert was none other than Eddie. After heading for the car, he opened the door and offered her a ride.

"Do you have a pocket of candy to bait me?" she joked a little dryly.

"Next time I'll think of it."

She smiled a little and climbed in.

During the ride, they talked about how the holidays had gone for both of them, about high school and what had happened. Eddie then apologized sincerely, surprising Cydel.

"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't want you to hate me more.

"I don't hate you." she hastened to reply, her attitude a little embarrassed.

He turned his head to her briefly and stretched out a smile that annoyed the girl again.

"What? Don't start that again."

"I didn't say anything."

"No, but I know what you're thinking."

He smiled again and continued driving to the high school. After parking, however, Eddie asked her if she would go out with him one night. She looked at him and said no, before getting out of the car. Then she turned around and walked a few yards away from the car he was about to get out of. She stood in front of him without saying a word, then he smiled again.

"Would you like me to drive you home tonight? I could come and pick you up after your occupations."

"I have to finish an article for the paper after school. Pick me up around 6:00."

He smiled broadly this time before stealing a chaste kiss this time.

"Ask my permission next time." she intimated without much seriousness.

"No."

His insolent reply sent tingles of excitement through her. He was handsome, he had a sharp wit, a biting sense of humor ... She had succumbed as any girl would have. But alas!

At the time of a new class later that morning, passing each other at that second in the high school corridors, Jeff offered to pick his sister up, knowing she'd be out late and would be walking home last I heard. The pleasure of walking as she often did.

"What time are you going out tonight? I can drive you home.

"No. That's okay. Eddie offered to ..."