xS2 Chapter 5 - Back 2 School (Finale)

The setting sun sets the sky ablaze in orange and pink light as the autumn leaves blow through the park near Starlight High. On a hill are Randy Buzz, Selina Gulvonac, and Sammy Becken.

"So, what do you think they're talking about?" Sammy asks as she looks down towards a park table at the bottom of the hill.

"I don't know and I don't see why we have to be so far away," Randy scoffs.

"Okay Randy, nobody's asking you to be here so why don't you buzz off," Selina states bluntly.

"I was planning on doing just that," Randy angrily retorts, "As soon as I'm done stretching my legs."

On the park table at the bottom of the hill sit Ronnie Everst, Elizabeth Moore, Marcus Veridan, & Alex Smith on one side. They all look a bit uneasy as on the other side of the table is a peculiar individual.

A scrawny short white kid with round glasses, black eyes, and fringy brown hair. He's wearing a white t-shirt underneath a green-red fleece jacket, black sweatpants, and white air force shoes.

"So kid, why did you want to talk to just us?" Ronnie asks.

"Well first off I'm older than you," the kid remarks.

"Really? But you're shorter than Elizabeth," Alex says.

"Hey!" Elizabeth elbows Alex.

"I know, I'm 18 and the name's Joel Cooper," The kid who actually isn't a kid explains.

"Eighteen?!" Marcus yells surprised.

"You look like you'd still be drinking out of juice boxes," Ronnie whispers to himself.

"Ha ha very funny," Joel remarks as he cleans his glasses, "but the reason why I wanted to talk to you all now is that you should watch your back."

"Hm?" Ronnie asks intrigued.

"As you know there was a total of six main gangs that control different territories of the city; Mason Makinsley's Dirty Fang in the east side of town, Tim-Tom's The Three Ts which lounge around here in the north side, Boston's Massachusetts Boys' which take up the west side of town, the ever mysterious Carmine Manifesto which takes up most of the south side alongside The Vignette, and Club Azure which used to occupy most of the north," Joel Cooper begins to explain, "And as you know those gangs all are under the supervision of the seemingly innocent company The Moon Shadow Affiliate."

"H-how do you know all of this?!" Ronnie asks, stunned.

"Because I'm Joel Cooper," Joel states as he adjusts his glasses, "The head of the gang known as 'The Vignette'."

"The Vignette? Are you going to start messing with us too?" Alex questions as he clenches his fist, "Don't you know what happened to Club Azure?"

"Yes, I'm well aware of Club Azure ceasing business," Joel Cooper responds, "And that's exactly why I'm here. Because you folk have painted a target on your backs."

"What?" Marcus asks, confused.

"Not only did you mess around with Dirty Fang but you brought about the end of Club Azure. You didn't think any of the other gangs would take notice of you?" Joel asks, "And now that you're in the limelight, the others are going to start pushing back against you."

Joel notices the concerned looks on their faces and remarks, "That is unless you join The Vignette."

Joel extends his hand over to them and asks, "I'll make sure the other gangs don't decide to mess with you all, and in turn, you'll just have to aid us whenever I call upon you all."

"So what do you say? Do we have a deal?" Joel asks.

____________________________________

In the northern district of Starlight City lies a small cafe known as The Crescent Cafe. Commonly known for its overpriced drinks, pretty mediocre yet overpriced snacks, glass windows, and Victorian-era architecture. Most of the clientele that frequents the establishment are tired adults needing a quick caffeine boost, though that isn't the only people here today.

In one of the red leather booths resides two people. The first is Archer Flick, a tall muscular man with dark black skin, black locks pushed to the side, green eyes, and a cheeky smile. He's wearing a long-sleeved white t-shirt, blue jeans, and light brown loafers. The other person with him is Elias Fox. Elias is a tall lanky person with his long legs resting on the table, he has white skin, maroon dyed hair that's split down the middle, amber eyes with two moles by the side of his right eye, and is always chewing bubble gum. He's wearing a yellow turtleneck sweat under a black bomber jacket, brown sweatpants, and white boots.

Elias is on his old Blackberry phone playing a game of Snake while Archer is eating a stack of pancakes. And the two are waiting for one more person to join.

"So, did you get a new top score?" Archer asks in between bites.

The mute Elias shrugs as he continues playing his game.

"Haha, it's okay, I'm sure you'll get there one day," Archer affirms.

The doorbell of the cafe chimes as the person they've been waiting for, Joel Cooper, enters the restaurant.

"I see you guys are having a good time," Joel Cooper, the head of The Vignette, remarks as he takes a seat.

Elias Fox, The Vignette's No. 2, blows his bubble gum in response.

"You bet," Archer Flick, The Vignette's No. 3, answers before asking, "So how did it go with those wonder hospital kids?"

"I think their club was The Belief Shelter," Joel responds, "No wait it was Miracle Clinic. And as for how it went, well I asked them to join us. You wanna know what they said?"

__________________

"You guys are fine that I told him no?" Ronnie asks the others as they make their way back home.

"Told who no?" Selina asks as she tries to be a part of the conversation.

"That guy who wanted to talk with us," Marcus explains to her, "And yeah I figured he was probably bluffing."

"Even if he wasn't I'm sure I could take them," Alex halfjokes, "I've been making some serious gains throughout the summer."

"You aren't the only one," Elizabeth retorts.

"Y-yeah, they don't call me The Buzzing Brawler for nothing!" Randy says, trying to get some attention to himself.

Most of the group though doesn't take his statement seriously, Selina just rolls her eyes and sarcastically goes 'Okay Randy', while Sammy laughs. The only person who seems to take his fraudulent statement seriously is Marcus.

"Yeah well hopefully they don't try to mess with us," Ronnie says, "After all, we're not just some pushovers."

As the group makes their way to their own homes, none were fully prepared for just how tumultuous this new school year would be – encountering friends and foes both new and old, discovering secrets long kept hidden, messing around at school, and causing a miracle that would shake the foundation of the city to its core – it was safe to say that this school year would be one to remember.

For better, and for worse.

See You Next Chapter!~