1

Ehsaan was a shy and quiet teenager whose reality seemed average but has a complex life. His father, Mr. Kaiser Ahmed, former school teacher of a small town named Alta Dighi which was in the countryside of Bogra had died in an accident when Ehsan was just seven years old. Seven years passed, his mother decided to raise him with the remaining savings that his father left. Even after she passed in her university years, she had been close to Ehsaan and developed her friendship towards him. She worked as an English faculty in a government university of the town. Though, Ehsaan didn't have much friends, he had only one: Jahan Ara. Contrast to Ehsaan's personality, Ara was outgoing and more understanding of his shyness.

The town around him, especially school sections, were so conservative about his vast knowledge that might be bookish to some but certain things that are smart enough to handle, if he's in town or abroad. Some of them were not educated enough due to certain barriers of spiritual belief which was only planted since the British took over the town and the educated people were criticized because of some troublemakers who tortured the villagers before it happened. They do not know about mental health, personal barriers or human rights, what they only know is: interfering others, not trying to learn something new and just stuck on the past traditions that made the town backdated, where the rest of the world are trying to update their ways.

It is also a discomfort on the mother, especially the single ones such as Mrs. Ahmed. It's not only because of backbites but the mentality of the small town culture. On the other hand, some of them were caring but due to the barriers, they can't express themselves openly. Some of them even followed the most problematic culture, even the university is only blacklisted by the chairman of the village, which the government opposed.

When it comes to the bullies, Ehsaan wasn't tactful enough that may lead to a lesser memory of the town in the later events. On the other hand, he was absent minded with his studies due to his father's loss and even, Ara would not understand the level that he's going through. Each time he looked absent, teachers with narrow mind just lashed him and ousted him. But at home, he couldn't share his troubles in school. Until, an incident that might change his life...Forever.

One day, Ehsaan entered the fields of the school gates. He slipped into the skin of the bananas and fell into the rough ground. Most of the school mates laughed at him. After the flashbacks, where the rowdies pulled his pants and just teased him that 'Ehsaan is a loser!' Still, the person who calmed him down was Ara and his mom, Mrs. Ahmed. Until this day, he prepared himself to fight back, but not before the class dismisses.

It was only five minutes late, he entered the class which enraged the teacher. His old, square-framed specs were sweating with his red cheeks. That teacher used to regularly beat the student with bamboo stick, even if it was two minutes late. The toxicity of the Bengali culture might be worsening due this time. It was the year 2000 that, evidently shows signs of post-modernization. The class went quiet, looking at Ehsaan with pity, except for the bullies who took advantages of his trauma and insecurities, were giggling at him.

"Show me your palm!" screamed the class teacher.

As usual, he was about to hit the crap out, but the teacher was shocked to see the bamboo got stiff. Looking at his palm with Ehsaan's red eyes, where his forehead sweat into the corner of his ears. The teacher's eyes went wide and was petrified for holding the bamboo stick with the hardest way possible. It broke accidentally, that led Ehsaan faint due to the reaction to the trauma that he had since his father died.

Right after the incident, The Principal called his mother to the office. She rushed and just quickly went to The Principal's office. It was more of a government office, where most of the files were scattered with the silver cabinet wardrobe. The only wooden thing was his chair and table. He shockingly staring at the two who were looking at him due to the non-violent-somewhat-violent-streak happened in the spot.

"What happened to my son?" asked Mrs. Ahmed

"Mrs. Ahmed, your son has been behaving quite strangely and has been insincere, since his father passed" said the Principal.

"Could you kindly tell me the incident, please?" asked Mrs. Ahmed.

He explained the incident that didn't validated Mrs. Ahmed's logic.

"You blame my son for that! I sense that the teacher is not good at disciplining children. I cannot relate with your complaints regarding my son!" screamed Mrs. Ahmed.

"I understand your concern. Would you mind, sending your son to a special school to improve his mental health? His studies are degrading, other than Ara, he couldn't interact with any other students and remains a lot silent in his own world!"

"THIS ISN'T MY SON! I BELIEVE THAT HE'S A BRILLIANT INDIVIDUAL. SINCE YOU CAME UNDER THE REPLACEMENT OF THE FORMER PRINCIPAL, THE WHOLE SCHOOL TURNED INTO A CONSERVATIVE JACKASS SHIT! Let's go, son, this isn't a right place for you!"

Mrs. Ahmed grabbed her son's arm to the old yellow auto rickshaw. It was raining cats and dogs. Rough grounds were flooded with mud, while the cool breeze flew into the coarse crowds in the small town of Alta Dighi. Both mother and son were silenced in between roads. The clouds were dark, people went silence to embrace upon the rainy situation. Mother and son duo arrived to a small apartment and stepped up to the stairs after paying the fare to the auto rickshaw.

"Son, what you did back there, was awesome!" said Mrs. Ahmed calmly.

Ehsaan looked shocked and surprised as other times, she yells and doesn't listen to him. This time was something different.

"You reminded me of my youth. Back then, I was the tomboy among the gang, where every boys wanted to date me, we scare them off! Some teachers were so despicable that we girls beat one of them to death. That's where I met your father" Mrs. Ahmed further added.

Blunt explanation and flashbacks did made Ehsaan curious, as normally a kid does. On the other hand, Mrs. Ahmed's eyes were concerned, if she explicitly talks about what really happened during her college days. Was it a crime that the teacher did?

Mrs. Ahmed diverted the conversation. She said "I got an offer letter as a faculty of one of the prestigious universities in Dhaka".

"Which position is it?" asked Ehsaan.

"English Literature" said Mrs. Ahmed.

"Mom, I'm afraid of something"

"Tell me, son"

"Mom, since dad died, no one except you and Ara cared for me. I've feared about thing that I really can't tell"

"I understand, that you're coping the trauma, losing your dad and I think, it's quite difficult for you. This place might set worse memories, at least you got the best out of them".

"Mom?"

"It will make more sense, when you'll get older. Although it's not about something you did in school, it is your instincts that told you that it may not be the right place for you to stay here. It may sound a little strange but..."

"Mom, I think you're right, because, I really need a break from the small-town mentality. Since I read books about the world, mostly from both of you, especially dad, it broaden my mind that, I couldn't limit myself to whatever it is".

"So son, ready for the new adventure?"

"Ready" smiled Ehsaan.

It was evening, it was raining cats and dogs. For Ehsaan, it is an end of a stress and has the opportunity to explore the world in the big cities but would the reality be different? Or something more than that?

Ehsaan went to his room and took out the CD of Goonies and played it on his desktop PC. It might be the last time that he would be staying in the small town. Enjoying the little bit of light into the darkness around him. He was laughing at the confession scenes, as well as having emotional moments. Wished, if he had something like that in life.

Days passed, where Mrs. Ahmed and Ehsaan took their things to the truck and shifted like six hours of the journey. When they reached the new home, beneath a big city, it goes to a small neighborhood. Though it's not fully similar to the small town, it has small markets and an attractive looking wooden tea-stall.