1 | a shot in the dark

The Metropolis Express raced through the moonlit countryside, a beacon of modernity cutting through the darkness. Its humming engines, a symphony of power and speed, were abruptly interrupted by the sharp crack of a gunshot that echoed through the sleeper cabins.

Panic erupted as people on board scrambled to make sense of the unexpected chaos. The train, speeding toward its destination, came to an abrupt halt, lurching forward and rattling its cargo and passengers.

Detective Molly felt a chill run down her spine. She wasn't just a passenger on this train; she was on duty. A seasoned private detective of the NYPD, she was traveling to Chicago for a conference on advanced forensic techniques. Now, thrust into this unexpected situation, she felt a duty to step into the role she knew all too well.

As the commotion swirled around her, she took a deep breath and made her way through the confused and frightened passengers. Her sharp eyes scanned the sleeper cars, assessing the unfolding chaos. In the narrow hallway, she spotted a door slightly ajar, a thin trail of wispy smoke curling into the corridor.

Molly took cautious steps towards the source of the disturbance. The door led to Cabin 7, which was where the shots had originated. The smell of gunpowder filled the air as she pushed the door open, presenting a sight that sent shivers down her spine.

A silhouette lay sprawled on the cabin floor, bathed in the eerie glow of the overhead light. Blood pooled around the lifeless figure, staining the luxurious carpet. The victim, a middle-aged man in a tailored suit, stared blankly at the ceiling, life extinguished with a single shot.

Her detective instincts kicked in. She took out her badge and radio, alerting the train's crew and contacting the local authorities at the upcoming Pittsburgh Station. The Metropolis Express, a crime scene hurtling through the night, now needed to be held until the investigation could unfold.

The train pulled to a halt at Pittsburgh Station, and NYPD police arrived to begin their investigation. The passengers were led into the station for interrogation, but the air remained tense. No one saw anything, or so it was claimed. The murderer had apparently vanished into thin air.

Molly Rayne found herself at the center of it all. The glint of determination in her eyes revealed the turmoil within. She felt the burden of the unsolved mystery pressing down on her as she surveyed the scene.

But as the detective stood in the throng of passengers, her every step was being watched, tracked by a pair of eyes that glimmered with both fascination and menace.

Word Count: 430

hey people! the first chapter is up! share your views and reviews in the comments - constructive feedback is really appreciated!

thanks for all the love and support you guys have given me so far. it really means a lot <3

cheers,
sara