4 | code decode

She took deep breaths in an effort to calm herself, but the strange encounter with the stranger was still fresh in her mind. Molly's eyes darted around the room, as if expecting someone to suddenly appear behind her. Her eyebrows furrowed in frustration, trying to make sense of Mr. Bingo's cryptic responses.

Molly: "Okay, seriously, what the heck?"

Mr. Bingo: "What now?"

Molly: "How did you even find me?"

Molly gripped her phone tighter as she stared at Mr. Bingo's message. "Ever heard of the phrase, 'reputation precedes a person'?" she read aloud to herself.

Fear and confusion set in — what did he mean by that? Was he implying that she had done something to deserve his attention?

She quickly typed out a response, "I don't understand this, I can't trace your number or your IP. You know way too much than you're letting on — what do you even want from me? Why are you helping me?"

Molly began pacing the bathroom stall, feeling like the walls were closing in on her. Her heart raced, and she couldn't help but glance over her shoulder, fearing that someone might be listening in.

"Calm down, detective. You're a renowned detective who's everyone's dream. So when I found a case that'd help you, I decided to help you."

She tried to keep her tone even as she typed, "I didn't ask for help."

As she waited for a reply, Molly's mind raced with possibilities. Who was this Mr. Bingo, and what did he want from her?

After what seemed like an eternity, a response popped up. "Unless you want your perfect life to shatter, you're working on this case."

"That's a threat. You don't have anything against me."

"Or maybe I do. The case of Gary Lane. May 20, 2022. Do you need more details?"

Molly's blood ran cold as she read the message. Gary Lane... that case had been closed a long time ago. Or so she had thought. What could Mr. Bingo possibly know about it?

She typed out a message with trembling fingers, her stomach churning with dread. "What do you know about the Gary Lane case?"

She could feel her heart pounding in her chest as the silence stretched on and on.

"I know about the evidence you planted to get a conviction. That's what I know, detective."

Molly's world seemed to spin as her secret was exposed. Mr. Bingo knew about her past indiscretion — an indiscretion she had been trying to bury for months. How could she get herself out of this mess?"

"I had my reasons," she typed out, her heartbeat quickening. "You can't threaten me for that."

"Or maybe I could submit the evidence to your department,' Mr. Bingo replied. 'We'll call it even then."

Molly felt her breath catch in her throat. He had her cornered. "No!" she typed, her fingers flying over the keyboard. "No, it's fine. I'll work on this case."

There was a pause before the message came through: "That's what I thought. Good day, detective."

Molly slumped back against the bathroom stall, her heart still racing. She'd been outmaneuvered, and now she had no choice but to work on this case or risk having her past indiscretion exposed. 

As she stared at the words on her phone screen, she felt a mixture of anger and resignation. What had she gotten herself into? And how could she get herself out of it?

Molly knew she had to be careful — not just for her own sake, but for the reputation of her department. She couldn't let Mr. Bingo's threats compromise the integrity of the investigation, or put her colleagues at risk.

She took a deep breath and squared her shoulders. She would play along with Mr. Bingo's game for now, but she would also keep her wits about her. She was a detective, after all, and she wouldn't let anyone outsmart her. Not even someone as cunning as Mr. Bingo.

-x-x-x-

"Took you quite long, are you sure everything's okay?" Miguel  asked as she returned to her seat.

"Yeah... it's," she paused, attempting to steady her tone, "it's fine, actually. I'm just feeling a bit anxious about a case I've been working on."

"You don't look fine, detective. I haven't ever seen a trace of worry on my role model detective even as much as a scratch. You're always this bold, fierce and talented veteran who knows what she's doing. I really admire you."

That's because I am good at hiding what I feel. She almost wanted to say it but bit back on her tongue.

He continued before she could form a response, "But, I understand, stress is a part of our job description. Anything you need, and I am right here for you detective."

Miguel had a reputation for being both meticulous and approachable among his colleagues. With years of experience under his belt, he had earned the respect of his peers for his keen eye for detail and unwavering dedication to solving cases.

He was known for his ability to keep a level head in even the most challenging situations, a trait that often inspired confidence in those around him.

After taking the final sip of her wine, Molly surveyed the audience from a distance, her thoughts racing with different possibilities.

Though the event had drawn to a close, the haunting messages from Mr. Bingo lingered in Molly's mind, casting a shadow over her thoughts. Refusing to succumb to her unease, she steeled herself to reconvene with her team and push forward with the investigation.

As Molly rose from her seat, her gaze fell upon a cryptic note lying on the table before her. Its presence seemed to exude an air of mystery, compelling her to pause in curiosity.

With a sense of foreboding creeping over her, she hesitated for a moment before reaching out to unfold the note, her fingers betraying a subtle tremor as she prepared to uncover its secrets.

The next words hit her like a wave, leaving Molly feeling as though the earth had shifted beneath her feet.

Three Strangers. Two Secrets. One Key.

Word Count: 982

AAAAAAAA- a chapter after so soo soooo long! i have been busy with stuff and everything. but i finally managed to write a chapter.

On another note, if you've played An Elmwood Trail, you might know that this story kind of revels in the similar themes, just goes in different directions xD

Hope you're doing well! How's your ONC going? If you're just reading this year, which is the best entry you came across?

This chapter took me some time cause i really wanted it to be good, so what do you think of this chapter? Let me know!

cheers,
Sara <3