22. SCARED

SAPPHIRE

After Atticus West left, I walked back to the lounge and the minute I seated myself on the couch, tears that I was controlling so hard streamed down my cheeks. Within last few days, everything around me had changed. I was just a normal editor who lived in London and now I was something special that everyone wanted out of their way. When did my life take such a drastic turn?

I felt a presence in front of me and when I opened my eyes, I found Connor kneeling in front of me.

"I must look so lame." I whispered. "I'm sorry. It's just... I'm... I'm so overwhelmed."

"Hey, it's okay to cry sometimes." he patted my arm, boring his green eyes into mine. "What happened?"

"Nothing," I said and wiped the tears off my face.

"It doesn't look like nothing. What does he want from you?" he asked in a voice filled with sincerity.

I sighed heavily before replying, "He wants to take me with him."

"What? That son of a bitch." he cursed angrily and stood up to sit beside me. Putting his hand on my shoulder, he said, "Don't worry. I won't let him harm you."

"You can't save me, Connor. Nobody can." I said and with that, another tear left my eyes. His presence beside me felt welcoming so I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Don't talk like that, Sapphire. I don't know why he wants to take you with him but there must be a way of stopping him." he said in concern.

"You don't understand, Connor. He isn't the problem, I am. If we stop him, there will be someone else." I parted from him. "You won't understand."

My eyes locked with his green ones, filled with worry for me. "Then make me understand." he said.

I sighed again. "Please, just... Don't get involved. He is a dangerous person."

"He maybe dangerous but he is still human. You don't have to be so afraid of him." he told me.

If only you knew.

°°°°°

After Bella came, I told her about Atticus' arrival and his threat. I told her how he said that sooner or later, I'll have to go away with him. All the while, tears kept coming out of my eyes even though I did my best to stop them.

"We need to find a solution." she muttered in a worried voice.

"But how?" I asked in a dejected tone.

"I need to find help." she said.

"What kind of help?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe an experienced witch who can tell me a permanent solution." she added.

"But where will you find an experienced witch? Don't tell me there is a whole coven in this town." I mumbled in sheer horror.

"No, there isn't." she replied. "But there is one in New Jersey. My aunt lives there."

"But you can't go to New Jersey. I mean with your injuries." I commented. Her legs still have some abrasions and burn marks and doctor had advised her to take rest.

"Don't worry about me. Your safety is more important." she answered.

"No Bella, I am not putting any more lives in danger." I groaned.

"The prophecy was made by a witch, Sapphire. We were the ones who put your life in harm. We owe you your safety now." she said and stood up to leave.

"But..."