Resurgent: Prologue

December 23rd, Friday.

Around 4 hours before Kushida Kikyou's confession, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka made his way to the teachers' faculty.

"You're here. Alright, let's go." With an unperturbed look on her face, Chabashira Sae took the lead and started walking to a very specific place.

"Is this really needed?" Ayanokouji asked.

"The chairman insisted on it. Your whole ploy may have been successful, but it took a considerable amount of effort from the people in the background."

"I see. So the chairman wants to make the costs clear."

Chabashira didn't respond and continued walking. After a while, they reached a certain room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," said the man inside.

The two entered and were greeted by Chairman Sakayanagi.

"Good day to you Chabashira-sensei, Kiyotaka-kun." He gestured for them to take their seats and have some tea.

"Good afternoon, Chairman." Chabashira bowed before sitting on the sofa.

Ayanokouji was silent but he took a seat anyway.

"Now then, shall we recount everything involving your plan?" He asked, wanting to get straight to the point.

"Yes. I assume you've listed every detail?" Ayanokouji responded.

"I'm not sure, so please do mention anything that I miss."

The chairman started retelling each circumstance right from the start.

"On the 17th of May, you asked Chabashira-sensei to look up Kikyou-kun's records with the goal of knowing more about her past." (1)

Ayanokouji began his master plan all the way from there. However, the chairman didn't know everything. After getting a hold of Sakuragaoka Academy's name, he did his research as to how some things came to be. Of course, public information on the internet was his only lead, but luckily, almost every big school in Japan has its own functioning website, and Sakuragaoka wasn't an exception. He saw the news page and decided that his plan would center around it.

With a brief review of what he knew about IP addresses, WiFi, SIM cards, and other adjacent topics, Ayanokouji started doing some tests. One of which would be the time when he helped Katsuragi through Sudou during summer vacation. He consulted Chabashira Sae about the rules related to these things and gathered the needed information. He even procured a SIM card that wasn't under the school's jurisdiction in preparation for a worst-case scenario. (2)

Going over his initial plans, Ayanokouji's first objective was to collect as much information as he possibly could before coming up with a tangible plan. Once he'd done this, all he needed to do was wait for the right pieces to fall in place. He wanted an opposition that would serve as a driving force for this plan.

As expected, Ayanokouji's patience would bear fruit and the perfect person came along. Ryuuen Kakeru had finally entered the scene. He made it so that Ryuuen could not beat him head-on no matter what. This would force Ryuuen to attack someone close to him instead just to get an edge.

On the island, he managed to manipulate Ibuki who relayed everything she knew to Ryuuen. (3)

Ayanokouji predicted that Ryuuen would want to confirm this information, so he engineered a situation where the latter would be able to observe just how "important" Kushida was to him. First, he manipulated Kushida into sneaking up to their secret meeting, knowing she'd get caught by Ryuuen. Then, if Ryuuen decides to check Ayanokouji and Kushida's relationship by provoking them, Ayanokouji would fool them by acting overly despondent to give them the impression that he's trying too hard to look unbothered by the provocation. (4)