Chapter 18

Ultimately, it was decided that Leo would travel home with Nico and Chiron until they were needed in Virginia again. As much as Leo missed his girlfriend, he was secretly relieved that he wasn't about to be forced into a mortal school again.

It was Nico who brought up the very good point that if Leo, a 16 year old with no apparent guardian, spontaneously moved to a different state to be with his girlfriend it may raise some eyebrows. And it would be even more suspicious if Aaron agreed to let Leo stay with him, especially after the team had made so much fun at his obvious dismay at the fact that he now had a child of dating age.

So here Aser was, about to start her first actual day of senior year, and she was nervous. She had faced an endless amount of nightmares, including her own mother in that terrifying palace of darkness, and lived. But she was nervous about walking into a building full of people her own age.

Aster scoffed at herself, how ridiculous.

Her father looked at her from his position behind the wheel of his car. His brow furrowed as he looked at her, a pang of guilt striking his heart. Aster obviously did not want to do this, but he knew that it was for the best. She was clearly used to being brave, but Aaron could see beyond the front she's put up.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently.

She looked at him, startled out of her own thoughts. "What? Nothing. I should get going."

"Aster," he laid a hand on her shoulder, feeling relief when she didn't flinch. "It's going to be fine. You might even have fun."

That last remark prompted a withering glare out of the girl, and Aaron suddenly remembered that she wasn't 100% human. "Fun. Sure." He could practically hear the eyeroll in Aster's words.

School had always been a nightmare for demigods, or so Aster had told him. He could only hope that Aster didn't blow anything up, like her friend Percy was apparently so used to doing.

"Call me if something goes wrong. Or even if it's just too much to handle at the moment. If you think you need to leave, someone will be around to come get you even if it's not me." Aaron offered. Everytime he thought back to what Aster had told him about her childhood, and what it must be like to have to fight for your life basically all the time, his heart broke. He wanted Aster to know that she didn't have to keep at it. She had him now, and he was going to be there for her so that she could finally take a break. And despite his best parental instincts, if Aster decided she wanted to wait to do anything with her education and just learn how to be a teenager again, he would help her do it.

"I will. But I'm sure everything will be fine. Bye Dad." Aster said, as she reached for the handle on the door.

"What, you don't want me to walk with you to the door? First day of school, and all." He teased, hoping to get a smile.

It worked, and Aster chuckled, shaking her head at him. "Thanks dad, but I'm a big girl." Slightly under her breath, she mumbled. "I've been to literal hell. I should be able to handle highschool."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. See you later."

Aster slid out of her seat without looking back.

...

Aaron was sitting at the round table, trying not to look too distracted as he checked his phone for the fifth time in the last thirty minutes. Just like the other four times, he had no missed messages.

Aster had been at school since 8:15 in the morning, and it was noon now. It was probably a good sign that she hadn't called. It meant she was fine. But should he have asked her to at least text him the occasional update?