Chapter 87

Samuel

Jayden's pen paused as he considered his next words.

I'm sorry for getting you worried. I knew my parents were going to punish me for what we did but I didn't expect them to hold me prisoner. It was foolish of me to come home. You were right, I should have gone with you, but what's done is done.

I have no idea how long they plan to keep me trapped here -I doubt my father would mind keeping me here for the rest of my life, or at least long enough to forget about my existence.

You should have seen my face when I first saw Cissy. I never realized how alike the both of you look. I agree with you, she is quite brilliant. Sneaking in under my mother's nose and working as a housemaid for weeks just to get in touch with me... thank her for me. I know she doesn't do it out of an excess of love for me, but I am very grateful, nonetheless.

I've thought about escaping when I'm not busy trying to stop thinking about you, but there was not much I could do. My mother is not stupid, she anticipated what I would do and secured the place tighter than a Swiss vault. However, with Cissy, the scales are tipped in our favour.

Ask her to get as much information as she can on the security around the manor. Getting out of my room is the easy part, once I'm out we would need to find a way to escape the grounds.

About the other things you mentioned in your letter... if what you are saying is true then things are much more dire than I had feared. I don't know what drives my father's hate. I could ask my mother, but I doubt she would be willing to disclose that information.

Our best bet would be my grandmother, my father's stepmother. I don't know much about her since she was not allowed to see me for most of my childhood and my mother forbade me from speaking about her -I don't even know if she is still alive, but  if she is, she would be the only person other than my mother to have the answer to your question. I daresay she even knows more about my father than my mother does.

Mother banished her from society the same she did to us, but I know Father gave her a house in the country and a more than generous pension. We have four country houses and I've only been to three of them, so my best guess is the fourth is where she is now.

At the very least, it's a place to start. I would write the address in a separate note, but if you ever find her, just let her know that speaking to you would absolutely infuriate my mother and you would find her to be extremely willing.

Jayden paused.

Samuel, I know what I'm going to say next would displease but you have to promise me. What's going on in the country... the protests and demonstrations for queer rights... those are not our fight.

Yes, I know we are to blame for how it began but our part in this is ended. We lit the flame, let that be enough. We have more than our fair share of problems to become embroiled in this sequel and our involvement would only make things worse.

Promise me.

Promise me that you won't attend any rallies, promise me that you won't give any interviews or speeches, promise me that you would have no involvement with them whatsoever.

I wish them the best, but we have our own battles to face, and I hope we can face them together. So, promise me that you won't get involved. Trust me, it's for the best.

Give the others my best and tell Leo that I appreciate his refusal to study in solidarity with me, but Cam is right. As much as we both hate it, exams are still coming, and we need to be ready. I have not been spared having to study, so it's not quite fair that he should get off.