Ch. XV ✡Better To Hope Then Despair✡

✡✡✡
THE NEXT DAY...
✡✡✡

KNEELING IN FRONT OF A GRAND SELF portrait of Sir Pentious--him in all his glory, while his egg bois gather around him, hands raised to the corner of their skulls in salute--you bring out a hand--from being tucked inside your pocket--holding three lavender flowers in full bloom that you summoned from the Earth realm, laying them down alongside other flowers everyone else has picked.

Lavender symbolizes peace...a gift for his ultimate sacrifice. His life...in exchange to protect the others from Adam's wrath.

At the point when you and Alastor fully recovered--which took two hours--you both returned back to the Hazbin Hotel. Or...at least, what WAS the Hazbin Hotel.

It had been completely destroyed, crumpled down and laying in a pile of debris and chunked foundation, a mess of broken dreams and shattered hopes. It didn't...seem real. Was this the same hotel you went to at the stroke of midnight two months ago, in hopes for a business position? Was this really the same hotel where you've built memories that will stay with you for all your days spent in Hell?

And only to add to the dread you felt grow in your stomach upon seeing the destruction, Charlie announced to you--and Alastor--that Sir Pentious died while trying to fight against Adam after...you and Alastor left.

Despite Charlie being relieved that the two of you were still alive...she couldn't help but stare at you a certain way, as if clearly suspicious--and somewhat perturbed --as to why you had left so suddenly in the midst of the battle that determined Hell's fate.

Though Alastor claimed that you and he were gravely injured and needed to retreat, you still felt...like you failed. Like you failed Sir Pentious. That his sacrifice wouldn't have happened if you didn't go to Alastor's rescue, in that spontaneous moment when you saw the glimpses of a future you so desperately want--a future free from marriage--being sliced in the chest and thrown against the wall, laying limp on the ground while the enemy approaches.

If it wasn't for Alastor's ego ridden, overly confident self that distracted you...then maybe Pentious's life would have been spared. If you hadn't run to Alastor's aid in that desperate attempt to save HIM, to save the possible chance of your freedom from marriage in the future...then perhaps you wouldn't be kneeling in front of Pentious grave, laying down flowers, while the only surviving egg boi, Frank, sits behind you.

With a caress against the gravestone under the painting, you whisper. "Sleep well, my friend..." you rise to your feet, bowing your head in respect, one hand over your heart as your eyes shut.

"Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. I only hope that wherever you may be...your soul can rest peacefully."

As much as you want to point the finger of blame, deep down you know it isn't right. Even if Alastor--and you--remain untouched and continued to fight, Pentious still could have taken it upon himself to attack Adam head on, to protect those he loved. His friends...

There should be no blame. He made the sacrifice so that no one else would have to. He was willing to die for everyone. Just as you were willing to die for them.

You cast a glance down at Frank--who simply sits on the ground, his little pupil-yellow black eyes staring at the painting of Pentious, as saddened groans can be heard quietly made in the back of his throat.

The only egg boi left...saved from an Exorcist's wrath by Angel, and sitting here now, not being able to grasp the reality of Pentious being gone.