I Can't

I walk into the arena, buy my ticket and head to the food stands. I buy some chips and a soda before taking a seat in the front-middle row. There are not many people here yet so I slowly snack on my chips.

I see some people sit down before turning around to wave at me. It's Amanda, Angela and their boyfriends. I wave back smiling at them.

I sit and wait for the game to start. The stands start to fill out quickly before it's suddenly packed. 'I'm glad I got here early.'

Music starts up before the lights dim and an announcer starts welcoming everyone.

The players skate out and before long the game has started. I watch in amusement smiling. Suddenly my eyes catch him, number 44, one-half of the Bash brothers. My ex-best friend, Fulton Reed.

I watch him, not taking my eyes off of him even once he no longer has the puck. 'He's powerful and fast but so graceful. I can't believe this is the first time I've seen him on the ice in person. Seeing him skate, last time we talked he could barely skate.'

I feel the hole in my heart, that I was trying to ignore all these years, ache with regret. 'I shouldn't have done that to him. I should have explained, I should have gone to see him play. I, I miss you so much, Fulton. And I'm so proud.' I think as a tear forms in my eye.

I wipe it and try to focus on the game. I smile widely as he slams an opponent into the glass.

"And here are the bash brothers, Fulton Reed and Dean Portman, working together once again to score hopefully the final goal of the game. And they've done it. The ducks have won the game!" The announcer yells into the microphone.

And then the game was over. I hadn't even realised I wasn't paying attention to the score, I wasn't paying attention to anything, except Fulton.

The players skate off the ice and people start to leave. I stayed seated for a while, in thought before someone tapped me on the shoulder. "Hm?" I look up to see Angela.

"Hey, we're going to meet the ducks, come on." She says excitedly, grabbing my hand she pulls me down the stairs.

"Uh, I don't want to crash your double date. I don't have to." I say awkwardly.

Jake waves me off. "Don't be ridiculous.  Can't let you miss out." He says as Amanda takes my other arm.

They pull me along to a small meet-and-greet area and we wait. The team comes out and signs some stuff before most of the crowd leaves.

I keep my head low and decide to talk to Julie, the female goalie. "Hey, it's so cool to see women in a sport like this." I say complimenting her work.

She thanks me smiling before looking over my shoulder. "What did you do to the big guy?" She asks.

I don't even look over my shoulder and look down. I already knew who it was, I could feel him staring. "Fulton?" I ask and she nods. "Something I will regret for the rest of my life." I whisper to her.

I moved back because someone else wanted to speak to her before I got dragged back. "Oooh looks like you've caught the interest of one of the cute players." Amanda coos.

Confused I look over at who she is talking about and see Fulton's arms crossed staring at me. I blush and turn back to her, now with Angela also giggling.

I frown at them confused before I get angry. "So now that he's successful, you're fine with him? Do you guys realise who that is? I used to be friends with him before you pressured me into getting rid of him. And now, I just... Urgh!" I angrily whisper at them.

I make my hands into fists and storm off but not before looking up at my ex-best friend once more with a guilty look, trying to silently apologise. I year falls from my eye as we make eye contact.

I run trying to find somewhere to be alone.