Chapter 3: The Prisoner

The air was silent, hanging still before the ominous building that was Berkley's Prison. Brick by brick the strongest prison in all the kingdoms stood in the middle of the field, daring anyone sane to enter. With four towers defending its four corners, each with twenty guards manning its catwalks, it was a well-fortified fortress against anyone attempting to break the ex-king out. The cloudy sky only added to the sense of gloom engulfing the area, swallowing any remains of joy or humanity. It was just another day at the prison, Virgil supposed.

Legend had it that Berkley, the architect of the prison, worked for Trojan during the war. Villagers say that he'd once been a reputable man with a growing small business of renovating houses. That all changed when he met Trojan. The man was instantly corrupted. He grew irritable and angry, wily in a way that had his colleagues cast him out in a heartbeat. The man left his wife and kids to become the premier architect of the kingdom, working to build palaces for Trojan, among other ventures. He most famous work was this prison, an abomination to his earlier, simple life, but a masterpiece to him now. It was created with the idea of trapping some sort of unnamed monster, one that would grow into a mega-beast.

Rumor has it the monster was unlike any other, a titan among men with claws that rip through bone like butter. With a roar louder than the marching of armies, a soldier in the next town owner could have heard this beast announce its arrival. It's said that the being could have turned the war in Trojan's favor with ease. The allusive monster, however, never saw the light of day, and may have only been a bit of lore to scare the rebels, but it was an effective tactic nonetheless. Villagers still shuttered their homes at night in fear that one day, the cursed creation Trojan had but mentioned would return, seeking revenge on the new post-war settlements.

Virgil tried not to believe the rumors, especially since he'd been housed in a tower-like prison for some time, but staring up at the prison made him question his resolve. He shook his head to clear his mind, and proceeded with the plan, approaching the prison doors. He signaled to the guard atop the corner tower to let him in, and soon enough, the doors slowly creaked open. Virgil held his arms in a hug as he forced himself forward; there was no turning back now.

After being led down many hallways by another guard, Virgil stood before the final room, the prison cell of all prison cells, what the villagers called "Hell's Keep". The room was massive, able to hold the silent cries of thousands that Trojan had taken during the war. A single bridge closed the gap between the prison and the cell, a room constructed as a human-sized bird cage suspended from the ceiling. A thin walkway circled the cage for visitors to view the criminal within, but there were no guard rails to save them from the threat below. Beneath the cage by hundreds of feet was a vat of acid, able to tear flesh from limb and cook any species. All Trojan's visitors had suffered the same fate, and had been swallowed alive by the acid. Virgil wondered if he'd end up the same. No, he told himself. That won't happen. I'm stronger now. He can't control me anymore.

"There he is," the guard said, interrupting Virgil's thoughts. "Go on."

The humanoid held back a fearful whine in the back of his throat and simply nodded; he wouldn't let fear stop him. One step at a time, Virgil made the perilous walk across the bridge. He eyed the bird cage with a growing sense of dread as he recalled the abuse he'd suffered. With little lighting in Hell's Keep, all Virgil could make out in the cage was one, shadowy figure that stood solemnly, waiting for him. The humanoid shivered. Facing one's abuser was never easy- he just thought it'd be easier than this.