Chapter Seven

“What are you doing here, Mia? Can't you see that we're talking? Leave.” Archer said while looking at Mia. I was taken aback of how he talked to her.

Mia did not seem to appreciate the way he spoke to her and it was clear that she was hurt by the way he acted. I could sense that she was still in love with him, despite her trying to hide it.

"Archer, can I have a word with you in private?" she asked him but he quickly shook his head, seemingly annoyed.

“Not now,” he replied in a stern and short tone. Mia was taken aback by his immediate refusal. She still looked hurt but she also seemed resigned to his answer.

Mia remained silent and she stood still for a bit. Then, she sighed softly and nodded. She seemed to feel defeated as she realized that he didn't want to talk to her. Mia took one step away from Archer.

Archer was still looking at Mia and he was watching her every movement, as if he still wasn't willing to take his eyes off of her. Mia looked at him for a bit, as if she was waiting for him to say something but his expression remained distant and cold.

Mia sighed once again. She was still hurting from his rejection and she was still feeling sad for being treated as though her feelings didn't matter. Her shoulders sagged a little bit, she took one last glance at him and then she spun around and began to walk away.

Pinagmasdan siya ni Archer na umalis na may matigas na ekspresyon at hindi siya kailanman nagtangkang pigilan siya o sundan siya. Sinundan siya ng tingin nito nang mawala siya sa isang sulok at nanatili siyang nakatigil, parang masyado siyang abala sa sarili niyang pag-iisip para makagalaw.

Pinagmasdan ko rin si Mia na umalis na parang inaasahan kong susundan siya ni Archer, pero hindi naman. Medyo naguluhan ako sa biglaang pag-iwas niya. Kinausap niya si Mia sa ganoong kalamig, walang pakialam na paraan at saka tuluyan na niya itong iniwasan nang halatang nasaktan ito at mahal na mahal pa rin siya.

Nanatili akong tahimik at tahimik at patuloy ko lang siyang pinagmamasdan, sinusubukang intindihin kung saan nagmumula ang lahat ng ugali na ito. Makalipas ang ilang saglit, sa wakas ay nilabas ko na ang aking lakas ng loob na magtanong sa kanya.

“Why are you so cold to Mia?"  I asked him in a gentle voice but he was not expecting my question and he seemed to be startled by it.

He glanced at me with that same stony expression and there was a pause, as if he was considering how to answer my question. Finally, he spoke slowly and carefully, seeming to be aware that the way he answered could have a significant impact on me.

“Mia and I have a complicated past. She's the one who broke up with me, when she decided to pursue her dreams of becoming an actress. I can never forgive her for abandoning me, especially when I was the only one who truly loved her and understood her…” he replied.

“I am over her. She left me and she betrayed me. I do not carry that love for her anymore because I have moved on. I have found a better love now; in you.” he added, his tone softening a little bit when he spoke about me.

“Do you still love her?” I asked, there was a hint of jealousy in my voice.

“Of course not. I am only in love with you now.” he replied with a hint of irritation in his voice. He wasn't happy that I would ask something like that but I was feeling a little bit jealous of his relationship with Mia and their past.

“Well, she obviously still loves you. She was literally on the verge of tears when she was speaking with you,” I pointed out in a slightly accusatory way.

“I don't care if she loves me or not,” he replied and his tone became stiff again. “What matters is that I am not interested in her anymore, I have moved on but she hasn't. It is clear from the way she came to me that she still wants me, but I am not interested in her anymore.”