Thirteen

Dear Diary,

As the tears finally ceased, leaving my eyes swollen and my cheeks stained with their salty trails, I found myself engulfed in a numbness that seemed to seep into my very bones, leaving me cold and hollow, devoid of feeling or purpose.

With each breath, I felt the weight of grief pressing down upon me like a suffocating blanket, smothering any flicker of hope or light that dared to linger within my shattered heart. And so, with nowhere else to turn, I retreated into the solace of sleep, seeking refuge from the relentless storm that raged within me.

But even in slumber, there was no escape from the darkness that haunted my dreams—a twisted labyrinth of memories and nightmares that coiled around me like a serpent, squeezing the breath from my lungs and drowning me in a sea of despair.

And so I slept, my mind adrift in a void of emptiness and pain, until the darkness finally claimed me, wrapping its cold, unforgiving tendrils around me like a lover's embrace, offering me a brief respite from the torment that gnawed at my soul.

But even as I slept, a part of me remained awake—a small, flickering flame of hope that refused to be extinguished by the darkness that threatened to consume me. And though it may be dimmed by grief and despair, I know that as long as it burns within me, I will never be truly lost.

For even in the depths of darkness, there is light— a glimmer of hope that shines like a beacon in the night, guiding me through the shadows and leading me towards a brighter tomorrow.

Yours in darkness and hope,
Katherine