2. The King of Lanka

As per the curse given by Sanat Kumaras, Jay and Vijay took their first birth as Hiranyaksh and Hiranyakashyap who were killed by Narayan in the form of Varah and Narsimh respectively

In the Tretayug, both of them took their second birth as Dashgreeva (Ravan) and his younger brother, Kumbhkarn.

They were the grandchildren of the sage Poulastya and the children of Rishi Vishrashrava and the Rakshas Kumari Kaikesi, who was to say from the Rakshas clan but was of pure heart. She had always wished a son like Kuber, Ravan's cousin brother, who was kind, well-mannered and enough intelligent. Kuber was the ruler of Lanka at starting. But a jealous Ravan had 'won' Lanka from his, better to say that snatched from Kuber.

After gaining the boon from Brahmadev, his deeds had crossed its limits.

Flashback:

Since an long time, Dashgreev and his brothers, Vibhishan and Kumbhakaran were in the deep penance. Even after doing the penance with such a focus and determination Brahmadev was not appearing in front of them which angered Ravan even more.

So he started offering his heads one by one to Brahmadev. "Brahmadev ab mai dekhta hoon ki aap kab tak mujhe darshan nahi dete" roared Dashgreeva with immense anger while offering his 8th head. And as he was going to offer his 10th head before that, a yellow bright light started forming in the sky and there in it appeared Brahmadev, sitting on a lotus with his 4 heads and holding the vedas in his hands.

"Kaho Dashgreev kya mangna chahate ho" said Brahmadev with a serious face. "Amritva chahiye mujhe Amritva" said Dashgreeva. "Woh me nahi pradan kar sakta! Kuch aur maango" said Pitamah Brahmadev. "Toh thik hao phir mai yeh vardaan mangta hoon ki meri mrityu na kisi devta, asur, rakshas, gandharv, kinner, pashu, sangli jaanvar in mein se kisi ke haatho na ho" said Dashgreeva. Brahmadev blesses him by saying "Tatasthu". "Brahmadev ab mere baki 2 bhaiyyo ko bhi vardaan pradan karen" requested him. First, it was the turn of Kumbhakaran. "Bhaiyya mai kya manguu?" asked him. "Indrasan" replied Dashgreeva with smirk on his face. "Hey param pita brahmadev mujhe NIDRASAN pradan karein" said Kumbhakaran. He said Nidrasan instead of Indrasan due to the slipnof tongue or better to say that it was done by the Goddess of 4 vanis (Vaikhari, Pashyanti, Madhyama and Para), Devi Saraswati. Brahmadev smiled a lil and said "Tatasthu". " Nahiiii" shouted Ravan from other side. "Brahmadev usne yeh galti se mang liya. Usse Indrasan ka var de" he explained while glaring at Kumbhakaran, who gulped in fear. "Mai var vapas toh nahi leh sakta parantu Kumbhakaran tum 6 mahine nidra mai vyatit karoge aur uske baad kee 6 mahinee jage rahoge." said Brahmadev (Continuous process like a cycle). Dashanad stomped his feet in anger. "Murkh Kumbhakaran" he said.

Now the second turn was of Vibhishan. "Hein Brahmadev krupaya kar mujhe yeh aashish de ki mai kabhi bhi Dharm ke maarg se na bhatku aur sadev Narayan ke bhakti me leen rahu" said Vibhishan. Brahmadev blessed him too and disappeared from there.