Chapter 12

(In my time of Dying, S2 E1)

John and Azazel stood in the boiler room, several other demons standing around them.

"It's very unseemly, making deals with demons. How do I know this isn't just another trick?" Azazel asked, tilting his head.

"It's no trick. I will give you the colt
and the bullet, but you've got to help
Dean. You gotta bring him back." John begged, sounding more desperate than he would have liked.

"Why, John, you're a sentimentalist. If only your boys knew how much their daddy loved them." "It's a good trade. You care a hell of a lot more about this gun than you do them." John replied, starting to get pissed off.

"Don't be so sure. He killed some
people very special to me. But, you're right. He's not much of a threat. And neither is your other child. You know the truth, right? About Sammy? And the other children?"

"Yeah, yeah, I've known for a while." John admitted, hating himself for letting Azazel do what he did to Sammy all those years ago.

"But little Sammy doesn't, does he? You've been playing dumb."

"Can you bring Dean back or not?" John asked sternly, tired of the demons bullshit.

"No, but I know someone who can. It's not a problem." Azazel assured.

"Good, because before I give you the gun, I'm gonna want to make sure Dean's okay. With my own eyes." John requested.

"Oh, John! I'm offended, don't you trust me?" Azazel mocked, making John shake his head sternly. "Fine."

"So, do we have a deal?"

"No, John. You still need to sweeten the pot."

"With what?"

"There's something else I want as
much as that gun. Maybe more."

°•■•°•■•°•■•°•■•°

"I can't explain it. The edema's
vanished. The internal contusions are healed. Your vitals are good. You have some kind of angel watching over you." The doctor explained to Dean, while Sam and Erica stood in the corner, anxious to talk to him.

After the doctor left, Erica was instantly at his side, wrapping her arms around him. "I'm so sorry for leaving, Dean. I should have been there, I should have protected you." "I know, Sunshine, it's okay. I promise." He soothed, kissing the bridge of her nose before they let each other go, and Sam and Dean hugged.

"How'd I ditch it? Death?" Dean asked after the 'chick flick' moment was over.

"You got me," Sam replied with a shrug, "Dean, you really don't remember anything?"

"No," He assured, glancing at Erica, "Except, this pit in my stomach. Guys, I think something's wrong."

Somebody knocked on the door, Sam opening the door, revealing John. Erica rolled her eyes as John walked in.

"How you feeling, Dean?" "Fine, I guess. I'm alive." He replied honestly.

"Where were you last night?" Erica asked, anger laced in her voice.

"I had some things to take care of. It's none of your business, Sullivan." John replied harshly.

"Oh, and I guess my name in your journal isn't my business either?"

"What?" Sam and Dean asked in unison, glancing at each other, then back at the arguing pair.

"You have no damn clue why your name is in that journal, kid. And you don't want to know."

Erica scoffed, "Bullshit, I know why you wrote it, do you? Or are you just an oblivious dumbass who makes other people do your hard work?"

"Well, do tell. What the hell has you so damn worked up?" John growled back.

"Guys, stop." Sam begged, standing in between the two.

Erica took a deep breath, taking several steps back into the depths of the room.

"Did you go after the Demon? Just be honest, please." "No." John answered simply.

"You know, I don't really believe you."

"Can we please not fight? I just got into a fight with your purse pup, and that was hell enough. I just- I'm tired of fighting. We're always just butting heads. I know I've made some mistakes."

"Some?" Erica mumbled, making the three Winchesters glance at her.

"But I've always done the best I could. I just don't want to fight anymore, okay?"

"Dad, are you okay?" Sam asked, confused and concerned as to why his dad was acting like this.

"Just- just a little tired." John admitted.

°•■•°•■•°•■•°•■•°

After John went back to his room, Sam went god-knows-where, leaving Erica and Dean in his room.

"Sunshine, you don't need to defend us. You know that, right?" Dean said softly as Erica leaned forward in the chair next to his bed.

"Yes, I do, Dean. I've failed to defend way to many people, and I can't let you and Sam be one of them."

Dean told hold of Erica's hand, the two going silent after he sighed.

"Childhood trauma?" "Childhood trauma." Erica repeated back with a soft yet sad smile.

"Well, I have some too. Maybe we can work on healing some of that shit together." Dean assured her, their fingers slowly interlocking.

"We shouldn't- we can't do this." Erica stressed, pulling her hand from Dean's.

"Erica," Dean said softly, "What are you so afraid of?"

The brunette leaned back into the chair, trying to hold back any words she might regret.

"We're hunters, Dean. We have more important things than this. We can't just- we can't live some apple-pie life. That's not how this works." Erica stood up and walked towards the door, Dean thinking of anything he could say to keep her from leaving again.

"We can make it work. It will work."

Erica opened her mouth to speak, but Sam burst into the room.

"Dads not- dads not breathing." He ranted before rushing out of the room again.

Dean got up as quickly as he could, but Erica couldn't help but notice his stumbles. "I've got you." She assured softly as she wrapped her arm around his waist to stable him, the pair rushing towards towards the next room.

Doctors and nurses surrounded John, who was on the floor, motionless.

"Still no pulse." A nurse states.

"Okay, that's it, everybody. I'm calling it. Time of death: 10:41 AM." The doctor announced.

Erica took Sam's hand, pulling him closer to her and Dean.