Chapter 2 ~ Broken Pieces

The ceiling of my childhood bedroom still has the glow-in-the-dark constellations I stuck on it when I was a teenager. I used to practice spins in the middle of the night, their glow a blur with each movement as I pretended to dance across the stages of packed theaters. The moon became my spotlight, shining through my window, casting a silver sheen across my limbs. Sometimes, I'd even dance naked to feel free.

I was so innocent back then.

Now, however, I'm tainted by the cruel realities of life. It's been four weeks since Josh shattered my heart, and I moved into my parents' house and back to my old bedroom. An entire month since life decided I didn't deserve my dream job or dream boyfriend.

What's even crueler is how I'm still unemployed, but I'm also too depressed to care.

It's Saturday night, and I'm lounging in the same sweats and T-shirt I've worn for the last three days. I shove another cookie into my mouth, and crumbs fall onto my chest, where a graveyard of other crumbs rests. My hair is in a knotted bun that I haven't washed all week, and when I raise my arms to pull out the hair tie, I can smell my B.O.

"Hah!" I laugh.

Josh said I'm seductive. Well, if he could see me now...

I've never been sexier.

In fact, I stopped shaving my legs. Waxing? Forget about it! My bikini area is a hot mess, but who cares? No one will see what's going on down there anyway. Groaning, I curl into a fetal position on my bed. I miss making love to Josh, and I wish he were here to hug me.

"Knock, knock."

My bedroom door swings open and in walks Anika, but I wasn't expecting her, and her smile fades upon seeing me. She sniffs the air.

"OMG. Mara, what is that smell?"

"I don't know."

"When was the last time you showered?" She walks over to my dresser and lights a candle on top.

"I don't know... Wednesday?"

"Wednesday? Mara!"

"What? I'm in mourning."

"Oh, honey. No." She eases onto the edge of the bed. "You're a science project."

"Well, not everyone has someone to look beautiful for, like you." I sit up. "Wait. Why are you dressed all cute?"

"Because we're going out."

"Out? No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Mara..." Anika cocks her brow and places her hands on her hips. "Lydia called me, and when your sister reaches out, I know it's gotta be serious, and she was right. Look at you."

"I think I look great." I shrug.

Anika narrows her eyes. "No. I miss my best friend. You've locked yourself in this room and have forgotten what a queen you are. So I'm here to haul your bubble butt out of bed, get you showered, perfumed, and into a sexy outfit because we are meeting the girls at Penthouse to dance the night away."

"Penthouse?" I groan. "But Lucas is there tonight."

"Yeah, which means your brother can get us free drinks." She grins, spreading her red-stained lips.

"Listen, I appreciate you stopping by, but I don't—"

"Mara!" Lydia barges into the room. Was she seriously listening in on our conversation? "Get your ass out of bed, and go out with your friends. Josh is an asshole, and you shouldn't waste another second being depressed over a guy who disvalued your time. You are young and beautiful and should be enjoying these precious years. Trust me, your twenties go by in a flash. Do you really want to spend it crying over some loser who couldn't see the gem right in front of him?"