Chapter 3 ~ Tiny Dancer

Heavy panting and warm breath have my eyelids peeling open. It's an instant mistake as a sledgehammering from last night's consequences hit me ten-fold. However, that's the least of my problems. A brown brindle dog stares at me with curious toffee eyes and drool dribbling from its mouth. I swear he's smiling at me, which would be cute in most cases, but I'm scared of muscular canines, and this one looks like it could drag me by the legs. Scooting closer to the center of the bed, I bump into something smooth and warm.

My eyes widen.

Who the hell is in bed with me?

Scratch that. Where am I?

Daring a glance over my shoulder, I glimpse Mr. Sexy Kyle Cameron before turning away to slap a hand over my mouth. Shit. This means I didn't go home last night, which means my mom is probably pacing the living room with curlers in her hair and thinking about all the ways she'll scold me for worrying her sick.

Anika will cover for me. I need to find my phone.

Thankfully, the scary dog has retreated to his bed in the corner of the room and is distracted with licking his genitals.

Too distracted if you ask me.

Male dogs are as bad as men, it seems.

Gently slipping out from the covers, I tip-toe across the hardwood floor, gathering my garments. I've never had a one-night stand, and I'm not sure I want to again. Aside from the obvious, there is something dirty about sliding on panties that I wore the night before. Not to mention how I only remember bits and pieces of making out with Kyle in an Uber, stumbling up his apartment steps, and having sex.

Did I even have a good time?

Did I give consent?

Having a fuzzy memory of the events isn't comforting, and I can't get out of here fast enough. I find my purse strewn on the couch in the living room and fish out my phone, where a text from Anika awaits—just one. It's time-stamped at two-thirty-six AM. I furrow my brows. Where are all of the missed calls from my mom and angry texts from Lydia saying how I better get my ass home?

Anika: I let your folks know you're staying at my place. You're welcome! Also, did you hear Shelly say that Penthouse is hiring go-go dancers? OMG, Mar. This is perfect, and the pay looks good. You HAVE TO apply. You'd kill it!!

Attached is a link to the job posting, but the shuffling of feet in the hallway forces me to close out of the browser and stuff my phone into my purse. It's time to go!

"Leaving so soon?" Kyle's deep, morning voice chuckles behind me.

Shit. I've been caught. Tugging on a smile, I turn around, fully prepared to bullshit my way out the door, but Kyle is shirtless, and there's a giant snake tattoo stretching across his chest that coils his arms. A memory of kissing along the black ink swirls zaps me like a lightning bolt. I should look away. Instead, my gaze wanders down his defined abdomen to the gray sweats sitting so low on his hips they reveal the indentations that meet his pelvis.

And it's very, very hot.

"Uh... yes. I have a job interview."

"On a Sunday?"

"No. Tomorrow, but... I... um." I lose my train of thought as he raises his arms above his head to stretch, enhancing the striations of his abs.

Which Greek god chiseled this man from perfection?

"It's ok," he laughs, his arms retracting to his sides, where his thumbs hook into the waistband of his sweats, making it dip a touch lower. Oh, boy... I'm in trouble. "I know you're not used to casual sex, Mara."