Chapter 4: Family

We saw each other in school though. I had caught him looking at me once or twice, but that's about it. Never did he apologise for what he had done. After the stunt he pulled back in school, I must applaud for the way he behaved in my college.

"Maa lech go. Me tired." Erum said rubbing her eyes with her sand clad hands.

"Erummm." I quickly took her with me to the car and washed her face before she could start her full blown cry session. I cannot deal with it right now.

I took a takeout, because today was just not my day, and all i wanted to do was sleep.

I reached home in 30 mins. Before dinner I bathed Erum and took a shower myself. After freshening up, I made Cerelac for Erum. I know she is two, but she loves it. I fed her before me. I put on TV for her, and she got busy with that. After I had my dinner, I went to clean up the kitchen and my phone started ringing.

"Pappaa." I could hear Erum talking. I guess it's from home. I finished my business and joined her in our bedroom.

"How's my beti doing?" Papa asked in his baby voice.

"Good good, we went beach and i put sand in eyes. Ma worry." She said laughing.

"I eat cerelac and Maa noodles. Eww." She added scrunching her nose.

"Your mom bhi na." Papa said with a frown. He hates noodles. And he always told us not to eat. Apparently, they will get stuck in our intestines and burst one day.
His words.

Erum handed me the phone and went back to her TV when she heard baby shark playing. I shook my head at her.

"Aayra, how many times have I told you not eat noodles. It's not good for your health beta." Papa said concerned and ma joined him.

"Apne hi toh bheja hai ise itna door, itni fikhar thi toh bheja kyu. Ab bhi waqt hai, bula le isko." Ma said scolding papa.

"Walaikum salam to you too. I am good, thanks for asking." I replied sarcastically.

Ma and papa smiled.

"Where are Wajih and Ayesha ?" I asked about my siblings.

"Ruko mein bula lati hoon." Ma said going to get them.

"Aur kaisa chalra hai college?" Papa enquired. He was the one who supported me when i said I wanted to move. He set things up for me here, in Noida. Yep I moved all the way to North from Banglore.

"It's nice papa, good change you know. Erum is also very happy here, she misses you guys a lot. Especially her maamu and her maasi." I say.

On cue, Wajih and Ayesha graced the screen with their presence.

"Meri beti kidhar hai ?" Wajih asked completely ignoring me.

"Jab paise chahiye sirf tab behen ki yaad ati hai na tujhe ?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"Bakwaas nahi karo aur Erum ko bulao." Ayesha replied instead.

I called out to Erum, but no response. I called her again and was met with silence.

I got scared and went to the living room, and saw her sleeping on the sofa.

"So gayi woh."  I said carrying her and taking her to room and put her to sleep on the bed.

"Kal karwa dungi baat." I said looking at their upset faces. They love her a little too much.