Chapter Ten

"It's Saturday, enjoy the carbs." Violet handed Eboney her sugar filled drink and muffin as they walked a couple blocks down towards the bookstore. Violet hadn't read any new books thus far this year and as an avid reader, she was highly disappointed in herself.

"Thank you," Eboney took a sip of the frappe and Violet watched as her eyes went wide. It was cartoon-like the way the drink gave Eboney an immediate rush.

"You're welcome." Violet pulled her sunglasses over her face. "Actually, thank you." She pushed a button on the crosswalk and waited for it to turn.

"What for?" Eboney scrunched up her nose.

"For being nice to me." Violet gently bumped her with her shoulder, accompanying her gratitude with a smile. "I mean it. Karen's the only one that acknowledges my existence on my team. Everybody hates me because they think I'm a kiss-ass to Brenda, but I can't help that I'm good at what I do. And I don't mean to sound arrogant about it."

"Oh please," Eboney dismissed her thanks. "Those people have been stuck where they are for years and years because they don't work their asses off like you do. I wouldn't be surprised if you're the new Brenda soon enough. You know she's retiring early if she doesn't get her promotion."

"I haven't been there long enough to be anybody's boss. I'd actually hate that." Violet stepped off of the curb and began crossing the street once the traffic light permitted. "Do you have any plans of upward mobility in marketing?"

"Nope, I'm comfy right where I am. All pay, little work. I don't want anymore responsibility." Eboney quickly declined. "Plus I like my free time. I see all those late nights you work, I love being out of there at five on the dot."

"Four-fifty-nine." Violet corrected as if she knew Eboney's secret.

"You got me there," Eboney laughed as they approached the bookstore. She opened the door, letting Violet enter first and then waltzed in behind her. Eboney looped her arm inside of Violet's and they set out to cover every inch of the two story wonderland.

____

Violet spent her Sunday doing laundry and continuously changing her mind about going on a date with Lincoln. It wasn't that she didn't want to, she did, but she had to weigh the potential consequences.

She didn't want to be scrutinized for her every little move and put under a microscope because of who she chose to date. Also, she wasn't sure if the company had any policies about interoffice relationships. I'd like to think he wouldn't ask if such policies exist. Violet mused as she ran her vacuum up and down rug in her living room erratically. Rocky watched her from the sofa, even he was concerned.

But then she had to consider that this job was offering her a lot of new beginnings, new beginnings that hadn't turned out so bad. She had a boss who appreciated her, a new girlfriend, a beautiful office, and company perks. If all those good things came out of her new job, why would a new love interest be any different?

On Monday, even though she planned on declining Lincoln's offer, she still found herself taking extra time to get ready. She'd set her alarm thirty minutes early and pulled out a new top; a snakeskin print leotard that she threw a cropped blazer and high waisted pants over with a pink statement shoe. She'd much rather impress Lincoln than piss off Grant by wearing flats. That could wait another day.

Violet didn't show up at work early on Monday because she'd spent most of her morning getting ready. But when she arrived, she went about business as usual. She got her morning brew, turned on her playlist, settled into her office, and got to work.

Violet was using excel to run some formulas when she got a ping on her messenger. When she saw Lincoln's name flash across the screen, she didn't open it immediately. She finished up what she was doing to buy herself some time and settle into her decision.