Five

By the time Friday had come around, I still hadn't decided whether I wanted to attend the hockey game or not. I contemplated different ways I could mess with him, and it came down to the best idea I could think of, which was to eventually get him to try and sleep with me. Once I almost succeeded, I would remind him of who I was and make him realize that he almost fucked the weird girl from high school.

I could imagine how mortified he would be. I would want to get my camera ready just to snap a forever memory of the moment. He once said he would never lay a finger on me, I was interested to see how true that still was.

I dressed in skinny jeans and a low-collar shirt to show off the cleavage and hugged my body. This would catch his attention and maybe he would drop the whole friend act and start hitting on me like he actually wanted to do.

Once I gave myself a look over in the mirror to make sure I looked as good as possible, without looking desperate, I was ready to go. The game started in 10 minutes, but I wanted to be late and make him think I wasn't coming. I took my time and grabbed a coffee before I got there, and when I did it was halfway through the first period.

Perfect.

I walked with my coffee and this time picked a spot that was a little closer to the ice so he would see me, even though he still managed to find me the last time. I looked for his jersey number 24 and spotted him almost right away as he glided across the ice and followed the player with the puck up to the opposing team's net.

He waited for the pass from his team member, then in a flash slapped the puck into the net and the horn blared. Everything happened so fast, that I could barely watch where the puck ended up until I saw it slowly sliding across the ice from the net.

The crowd erupted in cheers and some girls started to chant Ace's name. He lifted his hand and waved to them, but it was obvious he was scanning the crowd. He eventually found me but I couldn't see his expression through the helmet, I just saw his hand lower slowly and I assumed it was a good reaction.

I tried not to smile smugly as the remainder of the period played out before a slight intermission. I watched as Ace skated off the ice and toward the locker rooms, then reappeared soon after with what looked like a jersey in his hand.

My heart thumped in my chest as he skated toward the exit closest to me, walked up the bleacher stairs, and stopped in front of me.

"You're a lunatic for wearing that," he muttered, then tossed the jersey over my head.

"Hey, w-what are you doing?" I tried to swat it off, but he kept it over my head.

I felt him lean down and stopped at my ear. "Looks like someone forgot to wear a bra."

My ice turned colder than the rink itself when I felt under the jersey and realized my nipples were on display through my shirt due to the cold – and the fact that I forgot to wear a bra! How in the world did I forget that?

"Just wear this for now," he said and tugged on the jersey.

I nodded meekly and slipped my arms through, but I could already feel the envious and shocked glares from those around me. I wanted to disappear like a turtle into the oversized jersey, one that smelled incredible and was surprisingly warm for how cold it was in the rink.

I stopped myself when I realized I was sniffing and practically cuddling into his jersey. That was the last thing I needed him to see me doing, it would just be a free ego booster. Then again, it might also help me with my revenge plan, if he thinks I'm already falling for him from these small gestures.

Again, I had seen him chase girls for months in high school, just to dump them once he got them in bed. But he swore never to touch me, so he will be the one dumped this time and left with nothing but a freshly bruised ego.

They won once again and this time I didn't stick around to see the celebration. I bolted out the door once more before anyone had the chance to approach me and ask anything about what happened between Ace and me. I waited on the side of the arena until he walked out.

"Here, thanks again for uh, doing that," I said and handed back his folded jersey.

But he shook his head. "Keep it, as a momentum from me, from your first hockey game." He grinned.

"Yeah, I think I've said how much I really don't want to become the target of every girl's envy right now. This is a red flag for them to charge," I said and held up the coincidentally red and white jersey.

"If anyone says or does anything, just tell me. I'll set them straight."

I wasn't sure how I felt about my former bully telling me he was going to stand up to any bullies, but in case anything did happen, it was nice to know he was going to take all the blame.

"I'm holding you to that," I muttered.

"And I'm holding you to buying lunch. Let's go!"

He grabbed my hand and hauled me toward the cafeteria before I had the chance to object.

This wasn't going the way I planned.

~*~

"So, what did you think of today's game?" Ace asked once he finally shovelled pizza into his mouth.

"Honestly, it was hard to pay attention with all the glares I was getting. You do realize you're a popular guy here, and there are a lot of girls after you, right?"

He shrugged. "So what? I'm not interested in any of them."

I had to stop my jaw from dropping. Was this the same Ace Huxley I knew in high school? They said people matured after graduation, but I never saw that happening with him. Maybe he really has, but that didn't excuse the way he treated me, only to not remember me when I was standing right in front of him.

"That doesn't stop them from being interested in you, and I can guarantee any girl you date, your fan club is going to dislike."

He shrugged again and took a bite of pizza. "Good thing I don't care what they think."

"Close your mouth when you chew," I said with a disgusted face.

"Yes, Mom." He grinned and did actually cover his mouth. "Like I said, I'll say something to anyone who has a problem with you."

"Oh really? Why would you do that?"

He finished chewing and wiped his mouth.

"Because we're friends and that's what friends do for each other."

'Are we really...friends?'