Book convention

In the following weeks that passed after you went over to Simon's house, a subtle but noticeable shift occurred in the routine. Simon found himself lingering longer at the cafe, no longer constrained by a schedule. Conveniently, he managed to time his departures to coincide with the end of your shift, providing an opportunity to walk you home.

There was a silent understanding, an unspoken connection that had developed between you, and each shared moment brought a sense of comfort, making the ordinary walk home feel like a cherished ritual.

Simon couldn't ignore the routine he'd established—walking you home, exchanging casual conversation, and the comforting warmth that enveloped him when you smiled.

In the beginning, he clung to the excuse that he merely enjoyed the way you made tea. He wasn't interested; he repeated the words like a mantra. But the days blurred, and a subtle transformation occurred. A small smile appeared unbidden on his face when you spoke, and your laughter became a melody that lingered in his thoughts.

As the weeks passed, he noticed a lightness in his chest, an unfamiliar sensation.

Love.

It took him a while to accept the truth. Denial crumbled like sand, revealing a simple reality—he was falling for you. Every day spent with you became a cherished moment, and he couldn't deny the truth any longer. You had woven your way into his heart, and he was grateful for the joy you brought into his life. His chest felt lighter, his heart seemed to skip a beat in your presence, and he couldn't deny the warmth that enveloped him whenever you were near.

You made him happy, and, more importantly, you made him feel in ways he hadn't allowed himself to acknowledge before.

A week after Simon's deployment, you found yourself on the couch, surrounded by the comforting presence of Riley and Missy. To your surprise, the two pets, despite their differences, got along remarkably well. You couldn't resist capturing the moment, snapping a picture of them sleeping peacefully. You decided to share the moment with Simon, sending him the photo.

In the rec room at the base, Simon received the picture. A smile played on his lips, though his expression was hidden behind his balaclava. Johnny, his keen eyes catching the subtle change, teased Simon about you.

"How's the missus?" Simon put down his phone and met Johnny's gaze with a poker face.

"She's not my missus," His tone betraying little.

"When you asking her out then?" Johnny grinned, fully aware of the dynamics at play. Simon fell silent, the notion of pursuing a relationship with you lingering in his thoughts. He contemplated whether you would even want someone with his scars and emotional baggage.

"I'm not,"

"Why'd you have to think about it?" Johnny's smile grew wider, prompting Simon to huff in mild frustration. He abruptly stood up and left the rec room, Johnny calling after him.

"L.t she likes you, don't overthink it!" Johnny's words echoed as Simon disappeared back into his room, contemplating the possibilities that lay ahead.

A few days later, after getting out of the shower, Simon received a Facetime call from you. He quickly threw on a black shirt and answered. As the call connected, he saw Riley on the screen and smiled when he heard the dog whine.

"Miss me, Riley?" Riley whined again, and then your face came into view, a breath of fresh air after not seeing you for two weeks.

"How has he been?" you set up the camera so both you and Riley were in the frame as you sat on your couch. "He's been good, he destroyed one of his toys." You flipped the camera to the shredded stuffed penguin, the remains scattered around. Simon laughed, and you smiled, feeling warmth and lightness in your chest.