An Agreement and An Assignment.

_________________________________
...?, The Suitcase.
(1ST PERSON VIEW, [Y/N].)

After a while of work, Vertin and Mr. APPLe come back to reveal a sad piece of news to Regulus and I. "I'm sorry..." she starts out, but Mr. APPLe finishes for her, "Turns out the Foundation doesn't fully trust us. Just like you both don't fully trust them." He flits around like someone pacing around in circles. "You acted privately without their knowledge, but they were still able to foresee the outcome." I can't help but sigh. How does the Foundation do that?

"I'd you don't mind," Mr. APPLe slightly approaches Vertin, "please tell us the stories from the past. After all, that's where our captain is leaving for." Vertin sighs, and I see a look on her face that indicates... sorrow? Disappointment? "The Foundation is currently the charity that can provide the best treatment for arcanists. There is no doubt about it." Her words contrast the expression she made earlier, confusing me.

"Every few years, the Foundation selects talented arcanists from children around the world. They go to orphanages and admonition centers, and even fish out unique ones from the prisons in detention centers." She pauses before stating, "I'm guessing that's part of the reason I was able to get your interrogation transcript so easily. But you aren't as young as they would prefer..." I shrug my shoulders. "Or maybe they didn't want somebody with mental issues." I throw out.

She looks at me in slight shock and shakes her head. "No, no, the Foundation has taken in many different kinds of people like you [Y/N]. They most likely would've supplemented you with medicine for your condition." Medicine? To put off my condition? Interesting. "To get back on topic, I was also one of those children. Since I can remember, I know it very well that I am alone."

"Until 1999, when the first 'Storm' came... I...I seem to see my mother." A solemn moods permeates throughout the room until Regulus (who was dead silent until now) boldly says, "So you have a mother!" I slowly turn around and blink. She looks at me with a playfully confused expression. "What?" I blink again. "She just told us about her life story which is pretty darn sad might I add, and all you got from that was that she isn't motherless." I hear a snort from somewhere behind me, but I'm not sure where it came from.

Couldn't have been Regulus because she's quietly dying of laughter. In front of me. Meanwhile Vertin's deadpan expression almost makes me chuckle too, but I manage to suppress it somehow. "I was not sure," she elaborates, "all of us... our memories of 1999 are blurred. I can only remember that was she placed on a laboratory bed, surrounded by many medical staff." Vertin walks over to a picture on the wall, but I can't exactly see what's on it.

"They shouted her name and mine...and I can't remember anything else. Later, no matter how hard I tried to ask, the official answer I got was always 'No such person'..." She leaves her words to let them sink in. I hang my head and reluctantly reach out to put a hand on her shoulder. I know exactly what the loss of your parents is like, and it took me years to accept it. Constant reminders of them in almost every picture I see doesn't help.

But since Vertin's mom is just missing, perhaps she's alive somewhere?

Vertin doesn't say anything, but then again neither do I. The room sits in silence until she decides she's composed enough to continue, "I have no intention to make enemies of the Foundation...As I said, I just want to find out the truth. All the truth about 1999." I silently nod while Regulus has the same resolute expression as ever. "I know what you said to Sonetto just now is expedient. I can still help you both get out of here."