A Girl Who Smells of Oranges.

_________________________________
1929, The underground parking area.
(1ST PERSON, Y/N.)

The bus ride was as nice as you'd expect. Sonetto was fascinated by the sights outside, which made me question how much of the outside world was hidden from her. From all kids raised in the Foundation, in fact. Vertin seemed content to just watch her, and Mr. APPLe hid between them so no bus riders would be freaked out. I sat in the seat behind them, and I luckily got it to myself. I also took a nap, but that was a bad idea because I'm now standing at the mission site, grumpy and groggy.

And I'm normally a very heavy sleeper. I basically got dragged off the bus. The chilliness in the room is the only thing keeping me awake. I would've fallen asleep standing by now.

"Oh... it's so cold here. This APPLe is getting frosty." Mr. APPLe's slow movements also correlate this fact. My eye twitches, my teeth clatter, and my body shivers. I hate the cold. "Y-yeah... no shrimp Sherlock..." I'd be nicer, but cmon. It's like -60 degrees in here. "Really? It's actually kind of warm, compared to our routine training at low temperatures." Sonetto chimes in, but my eyes widen and then droop in pity. Her look of shock comes quick. "W-what? What's wrong [Y/N]?"

"...How did they torture you?" Is the only question I can ask. "What... torture—" Vertin clears her throat, and Sonetto stops and shakes her head. "Right. Get back on track. According to the intelligence, now it's still one hour before the incident. Hmm..." She twirls her fountain pen, constructing bright lines and circles as if she's doing calculations. "So this is the distance from the entrance to the wall, and here should also be marked..." Mr. APPLe flies a little closer to Sonetto's air drawings.

"What you're depicting in the air... Is that the reconstruction of the victims' position?" Sonetto nods. "Yes, I reconstructed to actual scale. In this way I can calculate the position that can provide cover without hindering us from joining the battle in time." She elaborates. My expression is one of shock and one of someone that is decidedly impressed. Sonetto smirks, a once in a lifetime phenomenon. Her expression returns to one of solemnness. "For anything that may cost others' lives, I want to be as cautious as possible. What if..."

Oh no. Not the "what if" questions. Those always lead to a down spiral. "Huh. No, never mind." She rights herself faster than I thought, "I am not worried about my own life. I am just..." I narrow my eyes. The apathy towards one's own life is even worse than the what if questions. How the heck was she raised? "It's fine." Vertin moves to her side to reassure her, like she's probably had to do many times before. "They won't know." I sigh and look out through some bars in the ceiling. The same gray skies are present, but I could've sworn I'd seen a touch of red... red rain... and golden fog...?

"How in the..." I whisper, being unusually terrified at the sight in front of me. The red rain shades the same appearance of blood, and the gold is a similar color to the yellow of bone. In a distance is a silver cross with some people around it, alive or dead, begging it for something. The worst part is their whispers. Both audible and clear, yet clearly incoherent, like someone in panic trying to explain something to the police. I stumble back from the bars, falling onto the floor.

"[Y/N]! Are you alright?" Sonetto moves to rush to me, but Vertin calmly waves her off. She kneels down to my height and clasps a hand on my shoulder. "Remember what I told you back when you braved the storm?" My eyes slowly rest upon Vertin. "Look at the world... with your own eyes." My own eyes...? I blink, and like a spell, the hallucination slowly dissipates. I press my face hard against the bars, but nothing else remains, only the faint lingering of whispers.

"T-thank you... but how did you—" I stutter, but Mr. APPLe shushes me. "We can talk about that later, but for now, we must be quiet! Two human drunks are here!" Sonetto gives me a sympathetic look before turning her attention back on Mr. APPLe. "Don't let them wander around. It's too dangerous here! The gang fight will definitely hurt them." Vertin gives me a nod before slowly taking her hand away from me.