six

JUNE 23RD

1032 EST

CJ was running on adrenaline. Even though he wasn't actually running—according to Tristan, that would be a 'really unfair advantage'—he was still hopped up on excitement. Screw the groceries, he had a world to save.

Together, he and Tristan had made it a couple blocks, following a reasonable distance away from Psyche. Their past enemy resembled a sneaky conman, with one of those glints in his eyes that made you think he was sincere, but was actually pickpocketing you at the same time. Not only that, but he radiated nauseating resonations when the boys got too close. It made CJ feel like Psyche knew he was being followed, but at the same time he wasn't too sure.

The last time they saw him was at another street corner. By that time, CJ was sure that they were running into a trap. He skidded to a stop, holding an arm out to stop Tristan.

"What are you doing? We need to follow him!" Tristan said in exasperation.

CJ didn't respond. Instead, he just pointed to the street corner, where the telepath was waiting. He didn't show it, but CJ could tell that Psyche knew they were following him. Every time that the villain had gotten too far out of their sight, he would wait for them to catch up. It was like he wanted to be followed.

"He's waiting for us." CJ said, keeping a suspicious eye on the man at the edge of the block.

"So, what, do we just stop? We need to stop him." Tristan stated.

CJ thought for a moment. When faced with situations like this, he often would try to strategize a way out of it. However, he wasn't too sure he had enough time to ponder a solution, given that a very dangerous man was at the end of the block waiting for him to catch up.

"We'll follow him," CJ concluded. "There's something he's trying to lead us to."

"And if that's a trap?" Tristan grumbled, running a hand through his dark hair.

CJ sucked in a breath. "Then we find out if we get ambushed. Come on, looks like he's on the move again."

The pair set off again, weaving in between people as Psyche gave them a devious smile and continued on across the street. CJ and Tristan tried not to make their pursuit that obvious, but then again the guy was a telepath; who was to say he wasn't reading their minds at this second?

They followed him to a dead end, where the man in the trench coat stood. Psyche faced the wall, his back to the two heroes who had been on his tail.

CJ took the initiative. "State your business, Psyche." He said, surprised at how confident his voice sounded. He didn't know why, but there was something...vexing about Psyche. Anytime he got too close, it felt like his mind was being turned into mush by the resonations. But those nauseating feelings didn't seem to affect Tristan so what gives?

Their opponent turned around slowly, obviously thinking that he had all the time in the world. He looked at the two heroes with deep violet eyes, a gruesome grin on his face. Then, just like how it had last time, his gaze rested on CJ. "You'll find out soon enough."

Instantly, CJ felt a wave of vertigo rush over him and Tristan. He cried out in agony but forced himself to keep his eyes on Psyche, despite his blurry vision. The villain was disappearing into thin air, shining a dark purple color as he did.

"He's getting away!" Tristan exclaimed, staggering to stand. He wobbled as he stood, trying to fight the vertigo, as he threw his hands in front of him and blasted ice at him.