thirty five

NOVEMBER 22

0058 EST

Sounds of gunshots ricocheted off unfamiliar corridors lined with rows of meeting rooms as Tristan and CJ scoured City Hall, climbing the staircase higher and higher towards the top level. The impact of an explosion radiated in their oncoming direction, catching Tristan and CJ off guard as they turned to each other, donning identical expressions of dread. Even though neither of them spoke, Tristan knew they were thinking the same thing.

It was almost physically painful for the two to leave their friends in the heat of battle, desperate to help but devoted to the cause. Bristol and Avi would be more than okay on their own against Phobos, Tristan knew that, but it was as if his heart was waging war on two fronts: he wanted to be up there with Liv, while also down below with Bristol and Avi.

Tristan opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by a deafening roar of thunder erupting through the building. It was storming outside, he knew that, but it was almost as if this particular blast came from inside the building. Seconds later, another missile of lightning shook the ground. All around him, windows shattered, battering him and CJ with shards of glass, thunderous winds, and rainwater. The stairwell filled with the electric scent of ozone as the overhead lights flickered from the power surge.

Tristan fought against harsh, hurried breaths as the panic began to set in. He'd never seen anything like this before. He clenched his fists at his sides, nails digging into his palms as he turned to CJ. "Do we have records of any augmented with storm control?"

"Uh, not that I know of," CJ muttered. He eyed the flickering lights warily, as if whoever was causing the power surge would materialize from the dimming bulbs.

"Great," Tristan grumbled. "Just great."

A slow hum of a generator kicked on as they spoke, illuminating a small door to their far left. "Is that our stop?" Tristan asked. "Tell me this doesn't feel like a trap."

They quickly made their way toward the light. Fleeting sparks radiated off CJ's body as he physically hummed with adrenaline and anticipation. "Yep, this has gotta be a trap. So what's the plan?"

"How fast can you..." CJ's stern look halted Tristan's words in their tracks. Tristan paused, irked at both himself and the speedster."Okay I get it. Fast." He paused to survey the side stairwell in front of them. Lights from the emergency generators cast a barely visible glow through the darkness. Enemies could be hiding in every corner, waiting to strike, and they were going in blind. Tristan slammed his fist against the railing, turning it to ice and shattering it immediately under the glacial temperature. "Damn it, I wish Avi were here."

CJ tentatively put his hand on Tristan's shoulder. "Don't freeze me for saying this, put you need to pull it together." Ignoring the murderous icy look Tristan gave him, he continued. "Your sister is up there being tortured by Rune and wishing Avi was here is going to do nothing but waste time. Have some faith in us, dude."

At the mention of Liv, anxiety and adrenaline spiked in Tristan's blood. He would die before he let Rune torture her the same way he tortured him. Rune. Aaron. His brother. His own flesh and blood who had driven a spike through his leg and another so close to his heart. His brother who ruthlessly murdered hundreds of innocent people for personal gain. His brother who had killed his parents and would soon kill his sister for vengeance or whatever was driving this villainous crusade. But even after all the twisted things Aaron executed, Tristan didn't know if he had the strength or will to end his brother's life, even for the sake of his city.