eleven

July 1st

2021 EST

For a moment, it was a silent showdown. The Contingency of Heroes stood atop the training platform, radiating power like a second sun of supernatural abilities. The Union and Priscilla stood warily at the entrance to the cortex, a barricade of teenagers and one highly problematic caretaker.

The hero in the center, armored in a metallic suit, cleared his throat. "We come on terms of business. Do not fear, little heroes." He said in a low voice. The ends of his lips curled up into what appeared to be a smile, but to Avi it looked more like a grimace.

"Surely, Titanium Wave, we are happy to host you here. On what grounds of business will we be discussing?" Priscilla chirped.

Titanium Wave glanced at his teammates, and they nodded for him to continue before he turned back to the Union. "Rune, the sorcerer that both the Contingency of Heroes and the Union had defeated many weeks ago, has escaped his confinement at Shadowedge Prison."

"Knew that already," CJ coughed.

Beside him, Bristol elbowed him in the side. "Shush!" She hissed, before stepping forward to Priscilla's side. "And what of his minions? Psyche, Phobos, the rest?"

Avi knit her eyebrows in confusion at the brunette girl. However, she soon realized that Priscilla and the Contingency did not know of the Union's covert ops and encounters with Rune's minions. It was best to keep silent for now.

Another hero stepped up, her long blonde hair waving with each step; Amber Beam, the hero of light. "It appears that the minions in question have had means of teleportation to get in and out of Shadowedge. We aren't positive yet, but we have reason to believe that they aided in Rune's escape."

From behind Avi, Tristan spoke up. "So what's the plan? How are we going to stop him and his buddies?"

Titanium Wave held up a hand to silence the dark haired boy. "For now, you four are to train. We shall deal with Rune."

Bristol scoffed. "So you want us to stand by and do nothing while you guys waltz around taking all the glory? I don't think you remember that we're the ones who defeated him in the first place!"

Avi's eyes widened as she whirled around to face Bristol. No one ever spoke back to Titanium Wave; not unless they wanted a death wish. However, the Elemental Empress was unfazed. She glared back at the Contingency with venom, and in the silence, her fury seemed to spread to the rest of the Union.

"Yeah, Bristol's right! We can help! We can do more than help, we can stop Rune once and for all!" CJ piped up, stepping up to stand beside Bristol.

The six heroes glanced at one another before turning their attention back to the Union. "Priscilla tells us you four lack cohesion on operative missions. How can you defeat an enemy as powerful and dangerous as Rune, if you fail to work together?"

No one wanted to admit it, but they were right. The Union hardly ever executed a plan the way it should be, but somehow, on their covert ops, they managed to succeed. It was twisted, but they didn't follow anyone's orders but their own. Being a hero was more than following orders to succeed on the grand scheme of things; it was following your heart and gut to complete everything at hand, to save every soul, with as little sacrifice and as much risk as possible.

Avi straightened up. "We have defeated Rune once and we are fully capable of doing it again. Give the four of us an opportunity, and we will carry out whatever plan you give us on our terms and you will see that we shall succeed."