22

As the author of this story, I would just like to say: this is a terrible idea.

Tanjirou's knees are weak and he's trying to control his breathing, but Akiko is two seconds away from forcing him onto the ground and elevating his legs to treat for shock.

"Your parents are going to kill me," Tanjirou wheezes out, arms wrapped around his bandaged chest in fear that his hammering heart will break his rib cage.

Akiko rests a hand on his back, free from having to carry his sister around. He follows her instructions to take in deep breaths, but she still finds it odd that his body is well above normal body temperature.

"Are you running a fever still?"

"If I say 'yes' can we go home?"

"No. But I will ask my father to help lower your body temperature."

"Not if your mom tries to exorcise me first," Tanjirou sighs under his breath, but Akiko pretends not to hear as she walks up the steps of the house, dragging Tanjirou despite the fact that he's digging his feet into the cobble steps.

She quickly raps her fist against the wooden door, using her other hand to keep Tanjirou in place. She's glad that he still isn't at full health yet, or he would have tossed her into the Model-T with no problem.

"Hello?" The head maid answers, opening the door before her eyes brighten upon seeing the young mistress.

"Oh! Welcome home," she bows, head lowered with her hands neatly folded in front of her plain kimono.

"Are you here to surprise your parents with a visit?"

Akiko smiles brightly, as if she's an innocent lamb, before tugging Tanjirou out from behind her.

"Kinda!"

Akiko makes it a note to give the poor maid a raise the minute she faints.

Tanjirou can smell antiseptic and metal from inside the house, and a whiff of silk, hemp, satin and linen right behind that scent. He stiffens at the familiar smells, but Akiko's grip feels like a death vice.

"What's all this noise?" Ray questions, then begins to rush down the stairs at the sight of his fallen maid.

"Hiratsuka, my bag!"

Akiko decides to peek through the entrance, a smile on her face as she waves to her parents and calls out, "No need! Just elevate her legs and grab a blanket! She's just in shock."

Hiratsuka blinks in surprise at her daughter's sudden appearance and Ray raises a suspicious brow.

"Last you left you were a complete mess, and that was half a month ago. Just what are you playing at young lady," Ray chastises, but orders another maid to fetch a blanket and some pillows.

Blonde hair and green eyes, a new maid trying to make a living in Taisho Japan.

Perfect.

"Actually, three blankets should suffice."

"Are you trying to bury Mika?"

"Oh, they're not all for her," Akiko swings the door open and Tanjirou pales upon seeing his in-laws.

"Ta da! Kamado Tanjirou lives- Damn it I didn't get to finish my grand reveal. C'mon let's drag their bodies onto the couch. Blankets and pillows should be in the closet down the hall three doors to the left."

Tamura Akiko has no respect for her elders.

---

Despite being assumed dead for over four years, the couple remains overjoyed that their son-in-law is very much alive and kicking.