16

Akiko should have known shopping with Kanon would take forever

"Kanon, you're too nice for your own good..." Akiko complains, dragging her bag through the town as they greet the villagers.

Kanon is far too busy helping everyone with whatever small problems they may have, and it's taking more than an hour for the two to just buy what they need and go.

Luckily, the villagers are kind enough to give Kanon free produce whenever she's done lending a hand. She's even given some new chopsticks, rope, a basket for their things, and some bamboo.

Akiko just wants to go home.

"You don't have to stick with me, Akiko. If you need to go home that's okay too," Kanon smiles, and Akiko stubbornly takes her hand.

Reverse psychology at its finest.

Akiko's eyes trail down to the hand that she holds, noticing how different it is from when she first met Kanon so long ago.

A new memory makes its way into her head, one where Kanon is no longer overworked to the bone. Her hands are softer and they hold so much less than before. The pressure to take in the inn is long gone, but there's a sadness in her hands that Akiko has become accustomed to seeing.

Psychologically, they hold more weight than before, and Akiko knows that she has to do something about it. She has to do something about Haruki's condition.

"Oh, there's the medicinal shop," Kanon points with her other hand. Akiko perks up and out of her stupor, eyes brightening at the idea of new bandages before she lets go of Kanon.

The shop owner gives Akiko one glance before smiling, knowing the girl already and obeying her list of orders. Soon, Akiko's filled her bag up with new supplies, and she's excited to go home.

Kanon is waiting outside for her, and when Akiko returns, the two set off to buy some more food for the estate.

"Did you get carrots?"

"Yes I got carrots for you."

Akiko can't help but cheer in her head at the thought of carrots, but she suddenly has to shield her eyes when she's blinded by the sunlight.

Oh wait.

"Kanon, the sun is setting," Akiko points out, a bit worried albeit she doesn't show her concern in case Kanon starts to panic too.

Miruna caws overhead and the hair at the base of Akiko's neck stands up, her body suddenly feeling cold. She swears that she can see a puff of cold air escape from her mouth, but she assumes this to be a figment of her imagination.

Kanon frowns, shielding her face from the blinding sunlight. She can see how the setting sun reflects so vividly in Akiko's eyes, and she has to blink out of her daze before nodding her head.