7

"You don't think my mother will be mad, do you?"

"Based off all the stories you've told me about your mom, I think she's going to be pissed," Ray laughs and Hiratsuka gently punches her new fiance, pouting as Ray whips the reigns.

He continues to laugh and Hiratsuka joins in, the laugh is contagious and their happiness is relenting. Hiratsuka hugs Ray's arm, the two cuddled up together as they slowly approach the mountains.

The sun is setting now, golden rays bouncing off the grass that's been watered with melted snow. Despite the serene atmosphere, the horses become harder to control the deeper they ride into the mountains.

Hiratsuka holds her stomach with worry, the baby bump unrecognizable underneath the kimono (which is good considering the two haven't even wed yet. Higuchi would have a riot upon finding out).

Ray yanks on the reigns, eyebrows furrowed as the horses buck once again, "What's gotten into these guys-?"

They neigh even louder, crashing against each other and shaking the carriage. Hiratsuka cries in panic and Ray yells for her to get off the carriage as quickly as possible. She does as she's told, rolling out of the carriage much to Ray's concern.

He calls out her name, struggling with the horses before hopping out too. With no one to control them, the horses run off with the carriage and all their belongings in tow.

"Hiratsuka! Hiratsuka! Are you okay, love?" Ray cradles his fiance, checking for a pulse before pulling out a handkerchief to press against the head wound she's suffered.

Hiratsuka coughs, her hands immediately flying up to her stomach as she slowly nods her head.

"I'm fine... I'm just worried for our baby..."

She tears up and Ray wipes them away, placing a soft kiss against her temple to reassure her. The sun sinks lower and it's starting to get darker, and Ray has no game plan in his head.

They're stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no food or shelter, and Ray doesn't know his way to his fiance's village. In fact, this is his first time visiting, and it's to tell his future in-laws that he's marrying their daughter.

Hiratsuka's eyes narrow at dusk, her breathing finally even as she calms herself for the sake of her unborn child. She no longer shakes, but she freezes now at what her eyes see.

"Ray. Run. Now."

"Wh- What do you mean-"

"GO! YOU HAVE TO RUN!" Hiratsuka pushes him away from herself, wrapping her arms around her stomach as she curls into a ball.

"Hiratsuka-!"

The words in Ray's throat get caught and he's drenched in cold sweat, shivers running through his body at the sight of his fiance.