2

"You better get your daughter under control!"

"She's your granddaughter!"

"Hiratsuka... Let's retire for the night, plea..."

Akiko hears no more as she slams the front entrance shut, tears streaming down her face like a broken dam. Her eyes shine under the house's entrance lamp and she can hear the mention of topaz.

Villagers stop for a moment to whisper about Akiko before she shoots them a glare. They jump slightly before rushing off, continuing their gossip over why Akiko has returned from Tokyo wearing such mournful garb.

It's hard for Akiko to breath, and she's freezing on this New Year's night.

"God this sucks," She grumbles out, trudging down the streets of the village, drenching her poor choice of footwear with snow.

Every time she looks up, she sees traces of herself with Tanjirou, and she blames her cursed eyes.

The two giggling and laughing as they try to convince villagers to buy some coal.

The two giggling and laughing as they share a bowl of udon they worked so hard to earn.

The two giggling and laughing as they play with some stray cat.

Akiko shuts her eyes from the world for a moment, hugging herself close to retain some heat as her tears freeze the minute she produces them. They hurt her face, but, as cliche as it sounds, Akiko finds that the pain in her chest is more unbearable.

"Oh! S'that you Akiko?" A voice calls out. Akiko looks to her side to find that it's one of the kinder villagers, older with a face more worn with worry over the constant need for money.

"Baa-chan," Akiko greets, but the villager frowns at her tone of voice.

"C'mon in hun. I'll make you some toshi-koshi soba, hm?"

Akiko  is ushered in despite her feeble protests, but what's she gonna do?

Freeze?

She can only hope.

Baa-chan quickly fans the flames of the fire before scooping some broth into another bowl, dropping some mochi and buckwheat noodles. She forces Akiko to take off her wet socks before leaving them close to the fire place, then slides the bowl of toshi-koshi soba over to the girl.

Akiko's face warms as she places it over her steaming bowl, attempting to smile for baa-chan.

"Do y'need 'nother blanket? Your socks'll take a while to dry by the fire, but I have spare ones if y'like. Your toes 'r so blue!"

Akiko winces, reminded of the blue scarf she knitted Tanjirou for Christmas once.

Though not a Japanese holiday, Akiko wanted to get him a present anyway.