Chapter 1

Raul knew the moment his microwave exploded in the morning as he was cooking up some breakfast that his day would be terrible. Although he was thankfully unharmed, his kitchen wasn't so lucky. Thank goodness his grandma had gone off to visit his aunt in Venezuela otherwise the religious old woman would have been yapping about how the whole thing was ominous.

He wasn't a religious person, he didn't believe in such things but as he walked into the museum where he worked - thirty minutes late with his boss thratening to fire him - Raul couldn't help but wonder what he had done to deserve such bad luck.

Anyone who saw him walk into the building would think he had a decent job as an Exhibit manager or something. Unfortunately his job was a souvenir salesman.

He couldn't pinpoint the exact point in time when he had hit rock bottom but he was officially there.

He could hear his fellow workmate, a ginger named Frank, talking about something but all Raul could do was blow the rouge strand of black hair from his face as he twirled an amulet necklace in his hand.

"Hey Ra, you listening? Tonight's the show. Will you be joining us? Me and the boys will be heading downtown for the full gig. Come on man, it'll do you good." He heard Frank say.

"No. I think I'd rather stay in tonight." Raul simply replied as he returned the necklace he was playing with to its position.

It was an interesting silver chain with a silver per ankh. The Egyptian symbol of life. There was just something about it that caught his eye.

"Come on, Ra, when are you going to start living your life?" Frank insisted.

Raul didn't respond, instead he went on to pretend to rearrange his souvenirs so that Frank would drop the conversation. He eventually did and went off in another direction, leaving him to his thoughts.

As much as he hated to admit it, Frank was right. Raul had spent too much time hiding away in the comfort of his solitude. He had always been an introvert. He preferred to be alone.

As he continued sulking over the whole thing, he realized that he finally had a customer. It was the most beautiful male specimen he had ever seen. With long flowing silver white hair, flawless skin, amber eyes and a slim build that was clad in black from head to toe, this man look like he'd walked off the cover of some magazine - or a painting. There was no way he should exist and yet he stood right there in front of Raul, twirling the same necklace he had admired a few seconds ago in his fingers.

"Oh... hello. Are you considering buying that necklace? It would make a great souvenir if you're an enthusiast for all things Egyptian." Raul said as he tried to not sound as intimidated as he felt.

Whatever little confidence he had vanished when the stranger turned to face him, still twirling the necklace in his hand.

"Not just Egyptian. Life is universal. Humans tend to cling to all traces of it like it's all they have. Life ends - it's never eternal as they think." The man said in the most nonchalant tone that left Raul unsure of how to respond.

"Uh - so, are you interested in getting the necklace?" He asked, trying not to sound like an idiot.

This made the stranger let out a low chuckle for some reason, making him feel like an idiot either way.

"No. It'll serve for nothing but humor if I were to wear the symbol of life." The man said with a smile, as if he was laughing at some private joke. "But I could tell you seem quite interested in it."

"Well I'm fascinated by Egyptian history." Raul confessed with a nervous laugh.

"Then here." The stranger said as he handed the necklace to him. "My treat."