𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

The room was fairly quiet except for the soft-spoken counsellor who sat beside the two of them, that's how it'd been for most of the hour.

What was there to really say? Dolly already believed their marriage was over, she couldn't give them what they both wanted in this marriage and she knew that if he stayed he'd grow to despise her even more.

The counselor looked at the two of them, she'd seen this so often and she knew exactly what was happening here. So many relationships came to counselling only to find that both sides were looking for the exact same thing. She just hoped that these two could work it out instead of walking away.

"I think now is a good time for each of you to say your piece." The counsellor looked at the two of them and waited, hoping that they weren't just going to sit silently. There needed to be real communication here, not just silence.

"I don't know what to say," Dolly admitted, "I don't even know why we're here."

The counsellor wasn't surprised by her response, this situation was more common than she'd have initially thought. She looked at Tim, waiting for him to say his piece. But he stayed silent for his turn, a part of him hoping that she would speak first and that might make things easier.

"So you two have clearly had some difficulties over the past few months." The counsellor was just trying to break the tension and get the conversation started, the silence so far proving to be more awkward and uncomfortable than she'd anticipated.

"Tried to get pregnant for 4 years, got told that I can't conceive, that's all there is to it," Dolly spoke, playing with her wedding ring on her finger.

The counsellor heard the sadness in the words and knew that it was a major issue for the couple. "Are you both aware that adoption is a viable alternative?"

"Well I wanted to go down that route, but the thing is with him, it's like talking to a brick wall." Anger laced in her voice, yes she was angry, but with the bricks life was throwing at her she had a right to be.

"Okay, let's not jump the gun this early on." The counsellor did her best to try and keep things calm before things could spiral out of control. She couldn't let this spiral into an argument and that was what was happening right now. "So you wanted to adopt, but he didn't agree?"

"He didn't even talk about it," She shook her head, thinking back to what the last better half of a year their marriage was like.

"He just refused to talk about it at all?" The counsellor didn't think it was possible to ignore such a situation, but it was clearly an issue between the two of them. If he just refused to talk about it, it didn't exactly fill her with confidence that they were going to work through this.

"There was no talking at all, he slept on the couch, would say three words to me after he came home from work, 'I'm tired Dolly,'," Dolly admitted, toning down her anger.

"And how long would you say this went on for?" She could certainly understand why she was feeling so frustrated and angry considering what she was saying. If it had gone on for too long and he wasn't even willing to talk about it with her, this was a major issue.

"About six to seven months," Tim finally spoke up.

"You spent six to seven months acting like this and refusing to talk about it?" The counsellor was clearly surprised by his reaction to the situation, she hadn't expected him to have so little to say for such a long period of time.

"Well, I- It's just, I didn't really know what to do." he fumbled through his words, not even knowing what to say now that the counsellor had called him out on his behaviour. "All I knew was that it was just eating me up inside and I needed some space."