𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓮𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽

"Tim." Dolly continued to plead as she banged on the door, attempting to wake him, only hearing fumbling inside the room.

"Answer me." She demanded again, the panic seeping into her tone.

"It's okay, I'm okay," He panted as he pushed himself to lean against the door once again, "Well that was fun."

"Jesus Christ Tim," Dolly scolded him, her Jersey accent slightly slipping out with her frustration, not necessarily with him but the danger of the entire situation.

"I nearly just got my head bashed in," He replied, breathing heavily before speaking again, his body leaning against the door. "You're really going to nag me now?"

"Yes, I am, asshole, you were nagging me all morning about being in danger and look who's in danger now," She knew it wasn't the best moment to argue with him but she was hoping it'd distract him from whatever was going through that head of his.

He paused, her words registering. "Okay, that's fair. You got me there."

"You'd think by now that you'd know I'm pretty much always right, but you don't listen, Tim," She scolded him like a mother scolding her disobedient child.

"Alright, alright, I'm listening now." He chuckled, leaning even more heavily on the door.

"Vaccines gonna land in an hour, Lucy's fine out here, she's just talking to some CDC workers, they doubt she's infected," Dolly reassured Tim, noticing the sky starting to darken outside.

"That's a relief," He told her with a small smile, "You're really worried about me."

"I'll always worry about you," She replied, a slight smile on her lips.

"You know, for someone who was on the verge of divorce the other day, you certainly seem concerned about me," He gave her a playful, teasing grin, his head resting slightly more heavily on the door.

"Don't you know just how to ruin a moment," She playfully scoffed, slightly grimacing as she came back to terms with reality.

"Oh come on, I'm still a little woozy from the chair, let me have this one." He replied, looking over at the other man in the room.

The man's face was a bloody mess, his eyes becoming puffy, red and unfocused. He was sweating, with his breath becoming strained as if it took immense effort just to get enough oxygen into his lungs.

"You were always doing dangerous shit Tim, you're gonna make me have a heart attack one day," She spoke again, trying to ease the silence between them.

"What did you think I would do when I became a police officer?" He replied, "Stay in the office all the time?"

"Maybe you'd be safe if you did," Dolly bit on her lip, her eyes wandering around the room.

He paused, realising she was right. "Maybe this is what I get." He sighed, "You shouldn't be here."

"But I am," Dolly responded.

"I hate that you're here." He sighed, "I really hate it."

"And I hate that you're in there, at least out here I'm in a hazmat suit and mask," She leaned her back against the door as she thought about every worst-case scenario.

"God you're such a worrier." He chuckled softly, before pausing when he saw her expression, his own becoming solemn and fearful.

"One of us had to be," Her tone was soft and solemn as she spoke to him.

He remained silent for a while, feeling exhausted and defeated. "Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"