5

On the next day, Jennie walked past the planetarium building at the same time as the day before, hoping that, by chance, a certain blonde with a bright smile would be there.

She didn't even ask why the girl decided to visit the place that day, if, like Jennie, it was also a special occasion, celebrating her birthday.

But darn it! She didn't even ask the other girl's name, or the minimum of what social etiquette suggests, which is introducing oneself to a stranger, especially one you spent the entire day with. Jennie forgot to do that.

She didn't let herself be disappointed by the lack of luck that morning. If she left a good impression on the girl from the pictures (the only thing she had as a memento), she would surely come back another day.

Every 16th of each subsequent month, at 10:45 in the morning, Jennie visited the theater and retraced all the steps, sessions, and shows of that day.

It became an obsession, a way to compensate for her mistake in not asking for the girl's name, number, or any form of contact.

And the worst part was, she shouldn't be taking it so seriously.

I mean, how many people do we meet throughout our lives, have fun with, and that's it? It's over.

Sometimes it's a person who smiles at you on public transportation, and you sit next to them, chatting about various things throughout the journey.

Other times, it's someone who comes as unexpected help. You're having a bad day, and someone offers you gum or suggests sharing the burden you're carrying so that it's more comfortable to walk. You thank them, ask about their day, and you cross the street to your destination, maintaining such a pleasant conversation that you don't even notice how quickly the journey passes.

You don't say goodbye, nor a "see you later", or ask the person's name. You just wave, thank them, smile, and continue with your life. And they do the same.

We never see those people again. They are just passengers on this long train journey called life.

The blonde girl with bangs that almost covered her chocolate eyes, taller than Jennie, who looked at her in a way that made her feel seen, could be one of those passengers.

And it would be okay if that quick kiss hadn't happened.

The courage to press her lips against hers without knowing what her reaction would be gave Jennie a feeling of wanting more.

That's why she made it a routine to return to the place, first every day, then once a week, and finally once a month.

But she never found her girl with chocolate eyes.

And she asked.

God and all the planetarium staff were witnesses to every time she showed the photo of the girl and asked if they had seen her that day.

But it was always the same expressions of pity, compassion, and indifference. They didn't know her, and even those who were there with her that day didn't remember.

The answer was, "A lot of people come here every day, it's impossible to remember every face."

Months turned into years, and Jennie even tried to forget if the 16th wasn't her birthday.

So, especially every 16th of January, she couldn't shake off the feeling that something was missing. She couldn't forget.

Even though she graduated in psychology and spent years studying the law of attraction, cosmic energy, and all those things her one-day love believed in, she still didn't find the answers she wanted.

She scanned the photos and searched for the girl on social media. No success.

And at some point, she gave up.

The only thing that could turn her luck around was the universe's law of attraction and destiny acting on their own. And she chased them so much that she doubted that's how things worked.

So she let her go.

She matured and let it go.

If it was meant to be, she would find the girl in the photo again where she least expected it.

If they had chemistry, they only needed one other thing.

Timing.

But timing is a b*tch.