chapter five

Sama asked her to come to a special room made specifically for training. It was a room underneath the castle, it was massive. Sama told her that it was able to endure the most extreme conditions. If it were flooded it would quickly drain the water to a nearby lake through underground channels. If it were engulfed by a blazing inferno it would not falter. No matter what it is introduced to, it would survive. It has been used for training for several centuries to train generation after generation, and now it would be used for her training. Before we begin I should explain a few things about what training you will be doing, Sama said. As the father said, I will be teaching you magic. Magic is something created from one of three types of energy. Life energy, spiritual energy and divine energy. All three can be used to create magic however a different source yields different magic. Spiritual energy is what most use, it is like stamina but this is used to fuel magic not punches. It is a pool of energy that exists within us all, it can not be physically touched but it exists. Sumi then asks, if stamina is also energy then why is that not one of the three you mentioned. It can not be used for magic while the other can, Sama replied. Oh I see. Anyways divine energy is something only used by the gods and it is the ability to use this energy that makes one a god. Wait what gods exist. Sumi was rightfully confused, gods are the things of legends. Don't know, I have only been told stories about them, if they do exist it was a long time ago. But regardless of if they are real people still consider divine energy even if it is a mythical one. And it is said that it makes magic ten times more powerful than with spiritual energy. Finally we have life energy. It is what allows all things to live, it's your life force. It can be used for magic as well as a physical enhancement however it comes at a cost. Using it could drastically shorten one's life if not all together ending it. But the power it gives is said to surpass even divine energy. It can be used by anyone albeit with enough skill to draw upon it. So I'm guessing I will be learning to use spiritual energy, Sumi said. Yes, spiritual energy also referred to as mana is the one you will be learning how to use.  But how exactly does that work? Let me explain, spiritual energy is converted to an elemental energy which is used for a move of some sort. There are eight main elements and many sub elements. Sub and main, Sumi was lost at this point. Earth, water, fire, wind, ice, lightning, light and shadow, those are the main elements. And the sub are combinations of two or more of said elements. Say for instance mist is a combination of water and wind. These elements are used for spells called arts. To prevent any more confusion I will demonstrate. Lightning art: lightning ball, she creates a small ball of lighting and throws it across the room. Oh that was so cool, I've not really seen magic before. We call them arts as they are developed and cultivated by all who use them over time. I get it, so it is something that many people who have used them before have tweaked for optimum use. Yes exactly, however there are some magics called styles. These are so rare that only a few people have ever possessed them so it is unique for the individuals who have it. So they are like sub elements that are made of so many main elements that it is unique. Sama nodded happy she was getting it. But what determines who has what. That is all down to blood, you see the first humans existed as eight villages. One for each of the elements. And those who lived in said villages had the corresponding blood type. Earth villagers had earth blood and fire villagers had fire blood, you get the idea. Those of a certain blood could use a certain element. But eventually people from different villages met and they formed relationships. Babies born from this possessed more than one element within their blood. That led to people who could use two elements and some which could use sub elements. However not everyone had these sub elements just because they had the right blood type. And those who did may not have been able to use other elements. For instance someone who had fire and water could have used lava but was unable to use fire and water. And before you ask about what happens when one has too complicated of a blood structure from too many different blood I will explain it. First of all lava or mist is not a blood type, if a parent could use it, that does not mean their child could. Also a person is only ever one hundred percent of a certain blood type. If people of fire blood and water blood had a child that baby may be able to use water and fire but there blood will only be one. The other element is there but it takes a back seat and is unlikely to be passed down any further. That is why it is unlikely to see someone of more than two elements in their blood. But it is still possible even if it is rare. Say for instance my family is of lighting blood but my brother possesses the art of thunder a mix of lighting and earth. My mother and father were of lighting blood but my mother could use the element of earth. Does all this element and blood stuff make sense, Sumi. For the most part yes although it is a lot. Of course, you may not grasp it all right now but eventually you will. Now we can finally move on to your training. I must say I am excited to learn something as powerful as magic, but I haven't a clue as to how. It all is about learning to control spiritual energy, the rest comes naturally. And to control it you must first become aware of it. So let me help you do that ok. Sama seems like a really good teacher, sumi thought. She was kind, and compassionate but Sumi also understood what she was saying. She could tell they would get along well.