Chapter 3 - Shut Up

“Remember, my friends! Smile! You’re never fully dre-”

Click

“Sorry, man. Not today.”

You stopped the tape and ejected it from the player, then put it back on the shelf with the others.

It was a full bookshelf. Huge and filled with tapes, newspapers, files, and old pictures. Your alter to your pseudo-god.

You turned on your computer and scrolled, looking through your cult group's subreddit, r/Dressedandsmiling. Pictures of ‘god’, gorey art, pseudo-sermons and fake preaching, etc… all filled the subreddit.

Your messages were full of people asking for your word as the voice of god. Asking for blessings, requesting you to curse someone, so on and so forth.

It was too much. You moved away from the tab and put on the TV instead. Surely watching a show would help distract you from all of this.

As soon as you clicked on the television, the radio on your shelf began its unholy buzzing again. You groaned.

It had been a week since you’d woken up that night to that horrid noise, and since that day, the radio had become… pissy? Was that the best way to put it? Every time you tried to watch something on the television, the radio lost its shit. It went off buzzing extremely loudly, and you couldn’t stop it.

“SHUT UP, DAMMIT. I’LL WATCH [fav cartoon] IF I FUCKIN WANNA.”

The buzzing stopped.

Shocked, you turned towards the shelf upon which the radio sat, “...thanks?”

You turned back to the television with a slightly starstruck expression and turned on your show. As you kept watching, you could hear the radio hum slowly turn back on again-quiet in the background of your head.

It was incredibly annoying.

“Ugghh… Shut up, dude!”

The buzzing disappeared again.

***

Your radio hummed quietly all throughout the day. You would tell the radio to shut up, and it always would for a short while, but then it would turn back on again within the next hour or so.

You groaned as you heard it humming again.

“Damn fuckin radio is killing me…”

You sighed in exhaustion as you stood in front of the altar.

“Yknow, I know you aren’t a god, but it would be real nice if you could do some magic shit and tell your old radio to stop giving me a headache… Not that you ever would though. You sure like seeing people hurt, dontcha?”

The buzzing grew. You frowned and yelled at the radio again, “SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU ANNOYING BITCH.”

This time, the radio didn’t stop. You could hear a laughing from the other end. An… oddly familiar laugh.

“...god, I am going fuckin nuts.”

You groaned and glared at the altar, “Y’know, for such a kind sounding fellow, I’d expect you to be just a little less of a bitch.”

Defeated and exhausted, you slumped over on the couch and flung on your headphones. Somehow, you would get rid of that stupid buzzing.

[words: 491]