Chapter 5 - Donations

As the leader of a cult, you had a surprising amount of money donated to you quite commonly. You weren't actually sure why. You had never set up a place for anyone to send money. They had made a donation thing all by themselves.

But you were, technically, in a way, their messiah, so they were eager to please you. You guessed they wanted you to keep searching for more information on your new god. You needed funds to do that.

In reality, there wasn't much else to find out. You had every case file on the man already in your possession. The money was actually going towards your bills and groceries. But hey, they didn't need to know that.

You could easily just release info slowly as if you were still finding it.

It was cruel. No doubt of that. But, to be fair, they were doxxing and threatening people online. Did they really deserve to be having money? At least, that was how you justified it.

This will matter later on, but let's focus on you more than your evil money schemes, hm?

At present, you were laying on your couch staring at your ceiling. You were watching Sweeney Todd on the TV. The radio was buzzing angrily at you for ignoring it.

"Oh please, you of all people should be enjoying this, asshole."

You'd taken to the idea that your god had taken up residence in the little radio. Which, in honesty, though you didn't know it, wasn't far off.

The buzz grew and you sighed, "You're giving me a headache."

The buzz increased again.

"Oh shut up. They're eating people. You like eating people, don't you? You should appreciate this story a little more."

"The story is fine. I hate the television."

You jumped up at that and spun to look at the radio.

"...hi?"

Nothing.

"...Okay then. You can do that buzzing shit. I shouldn't be surprised by this..."

You took a deep breath and turned back to the television. The buzz turned up and you rolled your eyes, "Geez, you sure are an attention whore, ain'tcha?"

The buzzing stopped.

"Thanks."

***

Books were a lovely thing. And the buzzing never went off when you were reading. Your god had very little against reading, it seemed. How nice.

Currently you were flipping through an old journal of your grandfather's. The man had been, or at least you thought he had been, nuts. He always blabbered about demons and the such as if they were real as the air you breathed. He even claimed quite commonly that he had made a deal with one.

Silly nonsense to be sure, but still, he wrote about it in his journals quite a lot.

He was proud of that deal he'd made. He said he sold his soul for the good of his family. It had made him rich and he had the chance to leave all of that money to his beloved family. Or more accurately, to you. He left you everything in the will. The house, the insane amounts of money, etc.

It had always rendered those poor cultists of yours donations useless. You didn't need any more money than what you had. But if you could support yourself on it, then you may as well. So you paid the bills with the money of those poor unfortunate souls and used your grandfather's money to do all the things that made you happy.

Traveling, mainly. He had loved traveling, and he raised you going on road trips with him and your grandmother. You loved them. They made you nostalgic.

So you went on road trips and you went hiking and you did all the things you wished you could do with your grandparents with what he had left you.

And in his journals he detailed two things he was most proud of. The first was his decisions to make that deal. The second was the time he spent with his wife and you.

Your grandmother had only been around for a few years after you were born, so you didn't remember her much, but you certainly remembered how much your grandfather loved her. He told you the story of how they met a million times over, each time with a smile on his face.

And here it was written again on one of the earliest pages of his first journal. Detailed the day it happened with pride and joy. If you flipped through another few journals you would find the entry from the day they went on their first date, the day they married, and every happy moment between and after.

He'd made the deal when your grandmother got pregnant with your mother. He'd summoned a demon and made the deal that, in trade for his soul, his family would prosper through every generation.

Of course, who could've known just how wrong that would go? Sure, you'd lived a strangely successful life for a dropout, but you were also being haunted by the most annoying creature in the world all because of your grandfather's obsessive research into this random killer.

Sure. he'd been a police officer, but there were plenty of more interesting murderers out there, weren't there?

Not that you could talk. You were literally worshipping the bitch.

You turned the page.

There it was.

A summoning circle drawn upon the page. No, not quite.

A portal circle.

And you knew just how to get the materials you needed.