Chapter 8 - Dangerous

Angel Dust was breaking down laughing as he tumbled down the stairs, hitting the ground at full force with a loud CRASH.

You stared with an eyebrow raised at the fluffy spider, "You good, bud?" You took a step towards him and helped him up, "Quite the tumble ya took there, huh?"

He smiled and laughed, "Oh, I'm fine. I was just yankin' Creepy's chain a lil too hard. Nothin' to worry 'bout, Babycakes."

You nodded awkwardly, "Riiight... Well, uh, have fun with that. I gotta go find the bitch haunting me and whoop his ass."

Angel stood up and made his way towards you, "Ah, listen toots... I wasn't kiddin' 'bout what I said earlier. It's not really safe out there, 'specially not for a cutie like you. An' that ain't just me flirtin'! Those demons ain't gonna wanna play nice wit'cha."

You smiled at him and chuckled, "I'm a big girl. I can handle myself. Besides, if you're that worried, you can always just come with me."

Jesus. Christ. Had he ever felt that before? Whatever that tugging was in his chest? That incessant and relentless force that made him almost sick with how soft and warm it was.

He nodded, "Yeah, sure. I can give ya a tour!" He took your hand and followed as the both of you exited the shimmering stained glass doors of the hotel.

You cringed and sucked in a breath through your teeth, "Wowza... This place sure is uhh... Well, it's got character. That's for sure."

Angel nodded, "Sucks, huh?"

"Eh, not the worst I've seen."

Angel Dust raised an eyebrow, "What's worse than this shit?"

You chuckled and shook your head, "Don't worry about it."

Angel smirked, "Secretive, eh? Well, whatevah. I'll get it outta ya eventually."

"Sure thing."

The two of you casually wandered down a burning and destroyed street. Eyes shifted towards you as you both passed, making your skin crawl. Every stare from every salivating pervert met your frame with sickening strength. Like a billion tiny hands creeping up your feet and legs and up to your torso. They danced on your head and then slid down your face to land at your chest with nauseating intensity.

You heard a whistle, whispering, gunshots in the background. Screaming, crying, laughing, moaning, vomiting, fighting.

Spinning. The world was spinning. Your vision was going dark.

This whole thing was too much. You couldn't think. You couldn't speak. You couldn't see straight.

And then you couldn't see at all.

You flopped to the ground like a ragdoll out of nowhere. Angel Dust raised an eyebrow, then studied your figure.

"Oh shit."

There, sticking out of your ankle. A needle. No doubt filled to the brim with something that was anything but safe. He groaned and pulled the needle out of your leg, "Yikes..." If he didn't get you an antiseptic, that was definitely going to be bad.

Glancing around, he picked you up and sighed, "Aight, hun. Let's get'cha somewhere safe. You can look for Mr. Evil Radio later."

He casually carried you back through the burning streets, stepping over rubble and used needles and condoms and torn up bodies back to the hotel. Occasionally he'd give the feistier of perverts a glare, but for the most part he was doing his best to just keep from dropping you or tripping.

***

Angel Dust opened the door to the hotel and stumbled inside with a sad look on his face. He hadn't meant to let you get hurt. And it felt even worse because he'd known that the expedition to find who you were looking for would be entirely fruitless. If only he'd told you the truth...

But he probably would've died if he did. And if you confronted Alastor, you very may well have died as well. Or worse, end up making a deal with the bastard.

He set you down on the couch and looked around for Charlie. He could hear her upstairs, probably talking to Alastor about this whole mess. And he would end up getting blamed, wouldn't he?

Where was Husker? Surely that would be a better option.

Husker, of course, was sitting behind the counter of the bar drinking himself stupid. He had the same sour look on his face as ever.

Angel Dust approached nervously, "Uh... Husker? Did uh... Did Al tell ya what happened?"

He lifted an eyebrow and set down the bottle he'd been chugging out of, "About that human that fell into his studio?"

Angel nodded.

"Yeah, he told me. Why?"

Angel frowned, "I tried to stop 'er from goin' out, but she wouldn't listen, so I at least went wit'er to keep 'er from hurtin' 'erself. Uh... It didn't work. I mean, I tried. No one touched 'er... But uh, she nicked herself pretty rough on a needle? Full o' drugs? It'll probbly be fine, but I need some antiseptic so it doesn't get infected."

Husker stared at him for a long moment, then sighed and reached under the counter to reveal... a bottle of vodka. The good shit. Then stepped out from behind the counter and sighed, "Hold her still."

"She's already out though?"

"Hold her still."

Angel shrugged and held your unconscious body in place. Husker lifted the lip of the bottle to a napkin and blotted the alcohol against your wound. Pain slithered up and down your veins, forcing your brain to do a backflip in your head and wake you up so you could vomit.

You gasped and flung your eyes open, "FUCK!!!"

You writhed in pain, struggling against Angel Dust's arms.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON???"

Husk sighed, "Like I said, you gotta hold her still or she'll get hurt even worse."

Angel nodded, "Look, Honey Pie, ya kinda pricked yourself pretty bad on a needle. It was full o'... somethin'. And it made ya pass out. I brought ya back to the hotel, and Husker here is helpin' me patch ya up so ya don't get an infection. Okay?"

You looked up at him, noting sincerity and guilt drowning his eyes. You nodded.

"Okay. Sorry about that..." You turned to the winged cat still standing there with a pissed off expression, "Uhh... Thanks. For helping out."

"Mhm," he grumbled under his breath. He sighed and headed back towards the counter, "You'd better get a bandaid on that."

You nodded, "Good idea."

You then heard an excited screech from upstairs, followed by the thudding of footsteps.

[Words: 1079]