Chapter Three

(please comment and vote) 1522 words without a/n at the bottom

THE WOODS

The weekend had slowly arrived, exhaustion gripping at Mallory like a vice. She was constantly on edge, looking over her shoulder and cringing at any sound. She couldn't even play the radio anymore, the voice haunting her dangerously.

She felt she were going insane. She had no plausible explanation for what had happened. She knew it was nothing to do with God nor anything else, and the way he disappeared....she believed he was from Hell, there was no way he couldn't be, but what would he have to do with her? Why would he just show up after she got the box from the attic?

"...his knife?" She mumbled, glancing towards the cupboard the knife still remained inside. She hadn't dealt with it like she had told herself she would. How could she? What if he returned when she touched it again? Mallory didn't want to live through that again.

And yet, although she was dealing with slightly intense paranoia, Mallory always placed a warm welcoming smile on her face for Bethany. How could she not when, after all, Bethany had no clue of what had happened? However, pushing all thoughts aside, Mallory continued to pack the picnic bag with sandwiches and any little snack pieces she found appropriate for the nine year old to be having. She had promised Bethany that the two of them would find a nice clearing within the woods where they could sit, munch on their lunch and soak in the warmth of the sun whilst bathing in the beauty of the woods.

She was left to hum to herself, however, whilst zipping up the bag. She would not allow her mind to wonder too far, not today. Today was about making memories with Bethany, hoping to replace the old with new. It was just them now, and it was Mallory's job to protect and guide Bethany as she grows older.

"Bethy, honey, are you ready?!" She called, her hips swaying as she walked towards the bottom of the stairs. Her hand grasped onto the corner of the wall whilst her body leaned to the left, looking towards the upstairs part of the house.

Mallory was wearing a pair of brown boots, black jeans and a beige knitted sweater. Her hair was curled but left to flow freely and her necklace was on show as it always was. It was comfy, and she figured it would be warm enough for their escapade into the woods.

"Beth?" She spoke, a small hint of impatience within her tone. It was that small, though, that it was undetectable to the nine year old. "Come on, you little tot."

"Coming!" Small but quick padded footsteps approached Mallory and soon enough, the young girl was there, atop the stairs. Mallory couldn't help but raise a brow at what she saw, but she simply smiled and ushered Bethany down the stairs. The girl looked like she was dressed to go outside during a harsh winter.

"You ready?" Mallory asked with a soft chuckle before she turned and picked up the bag, placing it on her shoulder and grabbing the keys to the home. She gestured for Bethany to put some suitable shoes on, to which the girl did, and she nodded. The sisters headed for the front door, only one leaving for the moment.

There was the static in the air and the same feeling Mallory got before the thing showed up a few days ago. It made her on edge and after a moment of hesitation, she left the house and quickly locked it, releasing a deep breath to give off the facade that everything was okay.

"Come on, Bethany, let's go find a good spot, yeah?" Once she had stuffed the keys into a pocket of hers, she extended her hand for Bethany to hold, to which the young girl gladly accepted. The sisters walked into the woods, looking around at the scenery in delight. They hadn't ventured there often, if much at all, and so Mallory thought this would be a good start.