Chapter Four

(please comment and vote) if anyone likes daryl dixon as well, i have a book called Burn Like Fire, it's got a few chapters so far :)

THE SECOND APPEARANCE

The evening had been unkind to Mallory. Her breath was shaky as her hands, once smooth but now soaked by the cloth she used to wipe down tables, worked on cleaning the diner up the best she could. It was only her remaining, everyone else had packed up and left. The dim lights flickered, adding to the eery sense of the early morning.

The clock above the bar showed Mallory that it was currently 01:45, two hours after closing time. It had taken a while for the drunken lot to get out of diner - mainly because they served alcohol as well as food and drink - and they almost harrassed her. They would whistle lowly when she passed and she was sure she once felt someone gingerly touch her ass, but she couldn't do a thing about it.

She needed the job and she needed to support Bethany. If this is what it took, she supposed she had no choice but to comply and do nothing. So, as she wiped her wet hands off in her slightly dirtied apron and kept on keeping on. She grabbed a long sweeping brush, about to sweep the dirty floor before she could mop it, but the familiar static filled the air.

Her brows furrowed as she halted in her movements. Mallory's eyes glanced towards the entrance of the diner, half expecting the man from the other day waltz in like he owned the place and make some remark of how she was working like she was, but there was nothing. She sucked in a breath, shook her head, and scowled to herself. She supposed there was nothing else she could do at the moment, so she shrugged the atmosphere off her back and continued.

A whistle left her lips, then another. The tune she whistled along to was California Dreamin', a song she grew up listening and enjoying thoroughly. Her parents loved the older music, saying it was always better than the post 2000s music. Mallory often agreed. She didn't own any technology, nothing like a smartphone anyway, and she didn't allow Bethany to, either. They were simply raised that way, that the advances in technology were too good and there had to be an alterior motive as to why they were a thing.

She also had to agree with her parents.

And so Mallory continued to whistle, eventually turning to humming the song before she softly began to sing it, working her way across the checkered floor with swift and elegant motions whilst she swept. It really looked like she was creating a masterpiece if the floor was her canvas. Although she didn't have paint or anything, but one can imagine.

"That was a lovely tune, my dear." The static deep voice called out, making Mallory scream and jump in her skin. Her fingers let go of the sweeping brush, the object clattering to the ground as her hip bumped into the corner of a table. She winced, rubbing the sore area gingerly as she tried to ease the pain away. When it did ease off, her brown eyes squinting in small amounts of anger.

"That was rude of you, Mr. Demon." She retorted, shaking her head and picking up the dropped sweeping brush. She sighed and continued to sweep, hoping that if she ignored him enough, he'd leave her alone. Mallory continued to clean, even got around to mopping the floor, but the dude had simply vacated to sitting in a booth, watching her intently. She tried to ignore it, tried to feel as though his eyes weren't perminantly glued on her figure as she continued to work, but it soon got unbearable.

Mallory halted in her steps and pressed a hand to her hip, tiredly staring at the demon.

"Do you have to stare?" She knew she shouldn't converse with him much, considering she was a firm believer in God and feared that even speaking to a man that had - when alive - defied God and refused to live in his name was a sin.