part 1

"Happy birthday" Niko laughed uncomfortably reading the text from his phone.

"That's all he said to you? Crazy, I mean you did fight n that but it's banter yeah?" Chunkz patted the taller man's shoulder out of pity.

Niko wasn't in the best mood.
Sure, it was his birthday and he had a meal with all his friends for it, and he was happy but, without Aj, it just didn't feel the same.

Niko could never get mad at Aj for basically ghosting him physically, and plus, Niko knew him well. He probably felt bad that he did that and built up the courage to say happy birthday, not in real life but in text.

"I'm sure he'll talk to you in the morning, I mean it's your birthday innit?" Chunkz sighed moving his head left to right in disappointment.

"I'll go talk to him right now." Before Chunkz could stop him, Niko sprinted away and - in seconds - was at Aj's door, that was closed shut.

Niko knocked on the door, knowing that even with no response - he would come in.

"Aje?" Niko sighed, knocking again.

"What?" Aj groaned from behind the door.

"Can I open the door?" Niko responded, desperate to see his cute face again.

"....Sure."

Niko immediately opened the door wide open with a smile on his face.

Niko hopped onto Aj's bed after asking permission, not breaking eye contact with him for one second, for Niko, it felt so good to see him again.
Why? I mean - why would you get so excited to see a 'friend' that you see everyday anyways?
Niko wasn't so sure himself, but he didn't want to dwell on that. He just wanted to see him, his pretty curly hair and his wide smile.
But unfortunately for Niko - It was pretty much the opposite.
His smile was nowhere to be seen, it made Niko a little sad to be honest, because that was the only reason he was smiling - to force a grin out of Aj and make him give up.

"Why are you smiling?" Aj said with a straight face, breaking the tension. It wasn't like Aj to not smile, especially when it was Niko. The two were very close, but actually got into alot of fights — most of it just being banter though.
But this time they fighted seriously.

"Have you got anything to say to me?" Niko grinned. Aj's eyes got dimmer and dimmer.

"H-...... No, I don't." Aj broke eye contact and stared at the floor.

Niko started to get sad, sadder and sadder every time Aj's eyes lost a spark.
He wondered why. The 'fight' they had was pretend wasn't it?

"If your done, can you leave?" Aj smacked his lips still staring down. His voice was a little bit shaky — like he had to force himself to say those words, like the sentence he said was on the verge of making him puke.

Niko started to tear up. Why wouldn't Aj open up, why not to Niko? Would he to Sharky, to Chunkz or Kenny, or has he already?
All those thoughts ran through Niko's head at once, was he jealous? Pfft, no way.

"Tell me what's wrong." Niko said in a serious tone this time, he put his warm hand over Aj's to try give him a sense of comfort.

"Please.. don't." Aj groaned and moved his hand away. Even though he knew how much he wanted it, Aj wasn't one to like physical touch, but he craved that from Niko, Niko cupping his face while leaning in to kiss him — he wanted it so bad. But he knew that it would never happen. Because Niko's not gay, and neither is Aj. He wouldn't be if he stayed away from Niko. Right? It wouldn't last long anyways. So if he just distanced himself and lost all contact with him the unusual feelings would just disappear.
But being that close to Niko on his bed just killed him.